Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by "Davies, Matt" <m....@cgi.com> on 2020/02/07 13:14:47 UTC

Backup and restore

Hi there

We've got apacheds M24 running on one machine, with some configuration and data inside it.

I now need to back up all the server, config, data, the lot, and move it to another machine.

Is it possible to stop the server on the machine to be backed up, then transfer the entire default directory over to another server running the software, then start that server up?

If it is possible, is it only this folder I need to move across?

/var/lib/apacheds-2.0.0_M24/default/

Thanks

Matt

Re: Backup and restore

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 07/02/2020 15:38, Davies, Matt wrote:
> Thanks Emmanuel
>
> This is a one off process, so as long as there's no harm in taking the entire default folder, the instance, I'll do that.
>
> Can you think of anything that could go wrong with taking the entire folder?

As soon as the server have been stopped before, not so much. Check your
firewall (if any) and anything that could block your ports - like a
running LDAP server using the same ports).

In any case, just do the test and come back to us if you are facing any
issue !

Re: Backup and restore

Posted by "Davies, Matt" <m....@cgi.com>.
Thanks Emmanuel

This is a one off process, so as long as there's no harm in taking the entire default folder, the instance, I'll do that.

Can you think of anything that could go wrong with taking the entire folder?

Matt
On 07/02/2020, 14:32, "Emmanuel Lécharny" <el...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Hi,

    On 07/02/2020 14:14, Davies, Matt wrote:
    > Hi there
    >
    > We've got apacheds M24 running on one machine, with some configuration and data inside it.
    >
    > I now need to back up all the server, config, data, the lot, and move it to another machine.
    >
    > Is it possible to stop the server on the machine to be backed up, then transfer the entire default directory over to another server running the software, then start that server up?
    >
    > If it is possible, is it only this folder I need to move across?
    >
    > /var/lib/apacheds-2.0.0_M24/default/

    You should be able to move the whole 'partitions' directory (that will
    contain the data) but also the 'conf' directory which contains the
    configuration. All that assuming you aren't changing the layout from one
    machine to the other.

Re: Backup and restore

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi,