Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu> on 2011/01/22 00:59:58 UTC

Hudson nightly build failures due to Clover

Clover causes Hudson nightly builds to fail intermittently.  This is bad, because it looks like Lucene/Solr tests are failing when they are not.  But Clover is good, so nobody wants to turn it off.

One possible solution (apologies if this has already been suggested): make new nightly Clover-only Hudson builds, and remove Clover from the existing nightly builds.

I think that would address all of the issues, wouldn't it?

Steve

Re: Hudson nightly build failures due to Clover

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Sorry, as I said, the last 5 builds are broken by me. and please don't bug me, Steven and me do our best to serve you good builds nightly. Also the everybody-especially-some-people-hated haven builds.

And just to mention: the last builds since Hudson upgrade did not fail because of clover, only because of my stupidness.

And by the way, you can always tell people: use the link to download artifacts from "last successful build". Where is the problem?

Uwe

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As said before: There is now a new Hudson version installed and since that
> event no more Clover problems. So let's give it a few days to settle and
> find out if maybe the problem is solved. But even if it's solved, I would
> not close that Hudson Bug report, we should first ask them, if somebody can
> explain *why* its solved.

Ahhh!  Sorry, I missed that.  That would be awesome!  (But, yes, it'd
be good to understand why it's solved...).

I will keep fingers crossed.

> About the whole bug: As there seem to be transfer errors when copying
> artifacts (like clover.xml) to the master! So I don't even trust .tar.gz
> files and would not recommend anybody to download and use them!!! It's
> better to check out and build yourself.

Apparently, basic infrastructure APIs like copying bytes across a
network or, say, copying bytes across files ;), is challenging to get
right...

Mike

RE: Hudson nightly build failures due to Clover

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi,

As said before: There is now a new Hudson version installed and since that
event no more Clover problems. So let's give it a few days to settle and
find out if maybe the problem is solved. But even if it's solved, I would
not close that Hudson Bug report, we should first ask them, if somebody can
explain *why* its solved.

About the whole bug: As there seem to be transfer errors when copying
artifacts (like clover.xml) to the master! So I don't even trust .tar.gz
files and would not recommend anybody to download and use them!!! It's
better to check out and build yourself.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de
Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Heh - I'm with you - I think it would be awesome to fix :) I think the other devs think so too. I think that you prodding the issue is a smart move. We do want to encourage users to use the nightlies - lets more people try out Uwe's questionable code early on ;) - fake failures are a downer though - it probably could easily affect how some users perceive the stableness. Though if you are that concerned, you would hopefully read the message and realize that something about the message is off - it says all tests passed. Not ideal, but I wonder how much it *actually* hurts trunk/nightly use. I have not seen much mail about it yet...

But then again, I work at lucid too, so I'm probably reading the same script you are ;)

Bottom line though - everyone knows of the problem. An acceptable solution has not yet been found it seems. I guess we are waiting for the bug fix to come out. If anyone really wants it fixed before that - prob going to have to put on your thinking cap and dive in with some concrete suggestions/action.

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com

Re: Hudson nightly build failures due to Clover

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
RANT WARNING! RANT WARNING!

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.