Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Ch...@emc.com on 2012/07/02 23:26:07 UTC

structuring builds

I'm beginning to sense that the structure of your build, e.g. the choices you make in grouping certain builds into multi-module builds and how you structure your directories in source control, have huge impacts on the ease of doing software lifecycle things like branches and future releases.  Does anyone know of any discussion of this topic?  Blog entry?  Book? Etc.

Re: structuring builds

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 02/07/2012 5:26 PM, Chad.Davis@emc.com wrote:
> I'm beginning to sense that the structure of your build, e.g. the choices you make in grouping certain builds into multi-module builds and how you structure your directories in source control, have huge impacts on the ease of doing software lifecycle things like branches and future releases.  Does anyone know of any discussion of this topic?  Blog entry?  Book? Etc.

We have them endlessly here.

I have written a few blog articles on how we evolved over the last 5
years of building a project with over 60 modules.
blog.artifact-software.com/tech

blog.artifact-software.com/fun tracks our excursions into clean humour.

There are several books (free and otherwise) written by real experts.
Should be able to find links on the maven web site or through Google.

We just use Maven inside Eclipse/STS so our patterns are very minimalistic.
Our team is very small (never more than 4 of us altogether) but we have
an estimated 30,000 files in our SCM.

There are some people in the forum who have developed some "best
practices" for using Maven in a CI environment.

You should be able to search the forum archives and find discussions
about multi-module projects, project structure, Hudson, etc. that will
give you some ideas of the range of solutions that members have
developed for building software.

I hope that this helps.

Ron

--