Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Sebastian Hennebrueder <us...@laliluna.de> on 2009/09/09 20:58:55 UTC

Re: New Tapestry tutorial -> documentation structure

Howard Lewis Ship schrieb:
> I'm all in favor of any effort to improve the documentation.  I think it's
> really unfortunate that the current tutorial does not even get the Maven
> part quite right.

Good to hear
> One thought ... the http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/ (or tapestry5.1/,
> tapestry5.2/, etc.) part of the site is synced to the release schedule; it
> only gets updated when there's a new release (alpha, beta or final).

> I think the tutorial, as a living document, should move up a level ... be
> part of tapestry-site, not tapestry-project.  tapestry-site (i.e., the
> http://tapestry.apache.org/) is still built using Maven and stored in
> Subversion, but can be updated at any time.

We might consider to move the documentation out of the way in general.
At least the tutorial.
I had some ideas already on this topic and will move the discussion on
this to a new thread.

So, we can do it.

I did not get any feedback on the content ideas so far. I already
thought of binding expression, which should be included.

We have to keep in mind that the tutorial doesn't have to show all
features. It should satisfy the user in a way that he has finished a
common use case (list, create, update, delete), he should learn the
general concept of Tapestry and he should get a first impression that he
can write large enterprise application very efficiently with a minimum
of duplicated. The latter target is why I would like show component writing.

It would be great, if you think about carefully, what we need to show in
addition to my ideas. I will continue writing next week, so there is
time to reflect on this

Furthermore, do you agree that we only translate the tutorial into
languages where at least 2 persons are ready to keep the translation up
to date. I propose this backup for two reason. Firstly, I experienced
this for my own tutorial where I had people willing to translate
tutorials and this stopped after a couple of months. Because, it is
really work and interests or available time can easily change. The other
reason is that every translation, my English writing needs reviews to
iron out the worst mistakes. This is our welcome documentation for the
first user. It needs to be as smooth as possible. I need proof reading
for my German texts as well.

--
Best Regards / Viele Grüße

Sebastian Hennebrueder
-----
Software Developer and Trainer for Hibernate / Java Persistence
http://www.laliluna.de

Re: New Tapestry tutorial -> documentation structure

Posted by ice <fr...@gmail.com>.
Volunteer for spanish translation/proofreading!

Posted by Michael Gerzabek <mi...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Sergey Didenko <se...@gmail.com>.
I think it's important to show reusability of a custom component in
this tutorial.

It's better to be something practical. For example "ShortUserInfo" - a
component that shows a user avatar, his name and date of registration.
It can be used in the end of every forum post and every user article.