Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jem Berkes <jb...@users.pc9.org> on 2005/09/20 19:56:44 UTC

Re: mod_smtpd module review

I just saw this old message now... I have been moving and my new ISP still
hasn't connected my service after 3 weeks.

>> This past week I have finished up a few modules and ready for review.
>>
>> http://www.brianfrance.com/software/apache/mod_smtpd_load.tar.gz

This is a nifty addition, thanks!

>> I would also like to set the error code, because looking over rfc0821 I
>> think it should return 452 or may be that needs to be a default for
>> smtpd_run_connect soft errors (552 for hard errors).  Should we allow the
>> module to set the error code?
>
> Error codes can be sent with SMTPD_DONE. Otherwise error codes won't change
> in the next fifty years for things like SMTPD_DENY and friends. I'll look
> into changing those specific codes. Most of the error codes I got from
> Postfix and Qpsmtpd but of course they aren't perfect.

I think there should be a way for other modules to specify a preferred
return code. Access controls are a good example, whether mod_smtpd_rbl or
something else that wants to ensure a specific code is returned.