Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com> on 2008/05/29 20:25:19 UTC

DNS ISP Host List Available

I've also created a DNS based list of domains that provide consumer
dynamic IP address space. I'm using this list internally but thought I'd
make it public in case others can use it.

Trying to inspire innovation.

Example:

dig comcast.com.isphosts.junkemailfilter.com

This list was created by grabbing the registry barrier part of the
domain name of IPs from other DNS lists that list the IPs as dynamic.

Re: Developing SpamAssassin

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Mon, June 2, 2008 19:03, Henrik K wrote:

> Is this some sort of weird humor?

no i am just a dane :)

> I don't get it.. so you think it's better to work randomly on something
> for a few moments, after a possibly exhausting day at your real job?

from my own expirements yes, i sometimes get stok in my work and let it be for
some hours and later get back and do what i wanted, sometimes its better to
let it be when codes does not work :)

> I would have no problem to contribute 1 or 2 euros a year to SA, if other
> 50000+ users did the same. ;)

well then lets sell it to microsoft :-)

> But I guess it would be hard to set up things like that.

just depends on licenses

Benny Pedersen
Need more webspace ? http://www.servage.net/?coupon=cust37098

Re: Developing SpamAssassin

Posted by Henrik K <he...@hege.li>.
On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 06:52:26PM +0200, Benny Pedersen wrote:

> (snip)
> > It's great how far SA is already, I give props to all the developers that
> > spend their free time on it. But just imagine what it could be, if for
> > example Justin would be paid to work on it 8 hours a day? :)
>
> if he get paid he would get more tired of the work and we would get more bugs
>
> no ?

Is this some sort of weird humor? I don't get it.. so you think it's better
to work randomly on something for a few moments, after a possibly exhausting
day at your real job?

I would have no problem to contribute 1 or 2 euros a year to SA, if other
50000+ users did the same. ;) But I guess it would be hard to set up things
like that.

Re: Developing SpamAssassin

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.

(snip)

Posted by Robert - elists <li...@abbacomm.net>.

> It's great how far SA is already, I give props to all the developers that
> spend their free time on it. But just imagine what it could be, if for
> example Justin would be paid to work on it 8 hours a day? :)

Henrik,

Decent money isn't really that hard to come by overall...

The legal language and/or partnerships (indentured servitude ;-> ) of
getting the initial big enough money and it's recurring same is typically
the challenging part...

The question is, if the money was there for Justin and others, would they be
able to walk away from their current gig(s)...

 - rh

Developing SpamAssassin

Posted by Henrik K <he...@hege.li>.
On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 05:33:10PM +0300, Henrik K wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 03:29:44PM +0200, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> >
> > Is there a bugreport for this? Or do youfind it better to whine and not try
> > to make it better?
>
> There are many bug reports, what good does it do if noone has the time to
> act on them?

Ok I need to clarify few things, before I'm regarded as a complete whiner.

Many things that I "whine" about are not _that_ serious. You can simply stop
using them or trust that bayes or other rules save the day. Obviously 95%+
of users are happy the way things are, and there is nothing wrong with that.

You can try to improve things, but when some bug reports wait for answers
for weeks or months, it just isn't that creative anymore. I try to value my
free time more than trying to "fight" some (perhaps less urgent) issues to
be fixed.

Re: DNS ISP Host List Available

Posted by Henrik K <he...@hege.li>.

> > On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 01:28:21PM +0200, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> > > looking at 20_dynrdns.cf we see that there are MANY forms of marking
> > > dynamically allocated space. The score of RDNS_DYNAMIC dropped in the past
> > > (there were FP's reportet iirc) and now it's mostly used in conjuction with
> > > other rules.
> > >
> > > If your regexp's are THAT efficient, share them with us please.
>
> On 02.06.08 15:14, Henrik K wrote:
> > 20_dynrdns is lame and no one is really updating it. It doesn't even strip
> > domains, resulting in hosts like smtp.dynamic1.com to match. It's pretty
> > cumbersome to use the meta headers too. It needs some revamping to be more
> > useful.
>
> Is there a bugreport for this? Or do youfind it better to whine and not try
> to make it better?

There are many bug reports, what good does it do if noone has the time to
act on them?

> > That's why there are plugins like Botnet and my BadRelay[1] (which handles
> > domains properly). My tool is pretty outdated too, I haven't updated it
> > since I started blocking and greylisting suspicious hosts directly at MTA.
> > Not much passes through.
>
> BotNet was afaik reported to have FP's for ISPs. That's why I do not use it.

Botnet blocks what you configure it to block. SA rules are forced on you.

Re: DNS ISP Host List Available

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
> > On 30.05.08 15:37, Larry Ludwig wrote:
> > > IMHO regex setups are even more reliable we do this with our postfix setup.
> > >
> > > For example:
> > > /^c-.+-.+-.+-.+\..+\..+\.comcast\.net$/                         REJECT
> > > dynamic ip address use isp for outgoing email - access.regex
> > >
> > > I think is more reliable than just by name or especially by IP since IP
> > > allocations do change.

> On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 01:28:21PM +0200, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> > looking at 20_dynrdns.cf we see that there are MANY forms of marking
> > dynamically allocated space. The score of RDNS_DYNAMIC dropped in the past
> > (there were FP's reportet iirc) and now it's mostly used in conjuction with
> > other rules.
> >
> > If your regexp's are THAT efficient, share them with us please.

On 02.06.08 15:14, Henrik K wrote:
> 20_dynrdns is lame and no one is really updating it. It doesn't even strip
> domains, resulting in hosts like smtp.dynamic1.com to match. It's pretty
> cumbersome to use the meta headers too. It needs some revamping to be more
> useful.

Is there a bugreport for this? Or do youfind it better to whine and not try
to make it better?

> That's why there are plugins like Botnet and my BadRelay[1] (which handles
> domains properly). My tool is pretty outdated too, I haven't updated it
> since I started blocking and greylisting suspicious hosts directly at MTA.
> Not much passes through.

BotNet was afaik reported to have FP's for ISPs. That's why I do not use it.

- Have you got anything without Spam in it?
- Well, there's Spam egg sausage and Spam, that's not got much Spam in it.

Re: DNS ISP Host List Available

Posted by Henrik K <he...@hege.li>.
On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 03:14:08PM +0300, Henrik K wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 01:28:21PM +0200, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> > On 30.05.08 15:37, Larry Ludwig wrote:
> > > IMHO regex setups are even more reliable we do this with our postfix setup.
> > >
> > > For example:
> > > /^c-.+-.+-.+-.+\..+\..+\.comcast\.net$/                         REJECT
> > > dynamic ip address use isp for outgoing email - access.regex
> > >
> > > I think is more reliable than just by name or especially by IP since IP
> > > allocations do change.
> >
> > looking at 20_dynrdns.cf we see that there are MANY forms of marking
> > dynamically allocated space. The score of RDNS_DYNAMIC dropped in the past
> > (there were FP's reportet iirc) and now it's mostly used in conjuction with
> > other rules.
> >
> > If your regexp's are THAT efficient, share them with us please.
>
> 20_dynrdns is lame and no one is really updating it. It doesn't even strip
> domains, resulting in hosts like smtp.dynamic1.com to match. It's pretty
> cumbersome to use the meta headers too. It needs some revamping to be more
> useful.
>
> That's why there are plugins like Botnet and my BadRelay[1] (which handles
> domains properly). My tool is pretty outdated too, I haven't updated it
> since I started blocking and greylisting suspicious hosts directly at MTA.
> Not much passes through.
>
> For a really big regexp list, have a look at [2].
>
> [1] http://sa.hege.li/
> [2] http://www.linuxmagic.com/opensource/anti_spam/dynamic_regex/

Just a few more hints. If you are scared to block anything directly,
greylist everything suspicious with a long delay. And using same dynamic
regexp lists to match HELO is even more foolproof.

Also check some more generic regexpes from my examples:

http://hege.li/howto/spam/etc/postfix/in/
  (access_helo_dynamic, greylist_*, whitelist_client)

DNSBL operators will thank you for using such lists before any queries.

Re: DNS ISP Host List Available

Posted by Henrik K <he...@hege.li>.

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 30.05.08 15:37, Larry Ludwig wrote:
> IMHO regex setups are even more reliable we do this with our postfix setup.
>
> For example:
> /^c-.+-.+-.+-.+\..+\..+\.comcast\.net$/                         REJECT
> dynamic ip address use isp for outgoing email - access.regex
>
> I think is more reliable than just by name or especially by IP since IP
> allocations do change.

looking at 20_dynrdns.cf we see that there are MANY forms of marking
dynamically allocated space. The score of RDNS_DYNAMIC dropped in the past
(there were FP's reportet iirc) and now it's mostly used in conjuction with
other rules.

If your regexp's are THAT efficient, share them with us please.

btw, our dynamically and statically allocated ranges use very similar naming
scheme, do you know about those? Do you exclude e.g. all names having
"static" in them?
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

RE: DNS ISP Host List Available

Posted by Larry Ludwig <ll...@empoweringmedia.com>.
IMHO regex setups are even more reliable we do this with our postfix setup.

For example:
/^c-.+-.+-.+-.+\..+\..+\.comcast\.net$/                         REJECT
dynamic ip address use isp for outgoing email - access.regex

I think is more reliable than just by name or especially by IP since IP
allocations do change.

-L

--
Larry Ludwig
Empowering Media

  _____

I've also created a DNS based list of domains that provide consumer

dynamic IP address space. I'm using this list internally but thought

I'd make it public in case others can use it.

Trying to inspire innovation.

Example:

dig comcast.com.isphosts.junkemailfilter.com

This list was created by grabbing the registry barrier part of the

domain name of IPs from other DNS lists that list the IPs as dynamic.

Ken A wrote:

NJABL & PBL already provide this, AND they are already part of

SpamAssassin AND they work quite well.

So, while you are 'trying to inspire innovation', you should take note

of this potential problem:

http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/you-might-be.html

On 29.05.08 14:49, Marc Perkel wrote:

They have name based lists? Show me where.

why should anyone need name-based lists?

Name based DNS lists are more reliable because IP addresses can change. The
name based list covers all IP addresses where the FCrDNS resolves to that
name.

Re: DNS ISP Host List Available

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 30.05.08 09:04, Marc Perkel wrote:
> Name based DNS lists are more reliable because IP addresses can change.

We did not do much changes in out dialup and ADSL ranges, while I was
changing the naming scheme at least two times.

> The name based list covers all IP addresses where the FCrDNS resolves to
> that name.

And in the previous naming schemes we even could not differ static and
dynamic space by rbldns. I guess there are more ISPs that have similar
issues and such blacklists would cause FPs or FNs.

I don't have lysdexia. The Dog wouldn't allow that.

Re: DNS ISP Host List Available

Posted by Ken A <ka...@pacific.net>.
Marc Perkel wrote:

>> On 29.05.08 14:49, Marc Perkel wrote:
>>
>>> They have name based lists? Show me where.
>>>

>> why should anyone need name-based lists?
>>

> Name based DNS lists are more reliable because IP addresses can change.

Obviously dynamic IPs and names change. Thats all built into DHCP (lease
time) and DNS (TTLs). So, please elaborate on your thinking here.

> The name based list covers all IP addresses where the FCrDNS resolves to
> that name.

Okay, so only domains that have dns setup correctly get into the list?
That leaves out huge chunks of the world. How is this more reliable? It
is probably a small subset of dynamic address space.

The botnet plugin does a good job of making use of broken & dnynamic DNS
names in SA. PBL and NJABL do a good job of identifying IP address space
that is dynamic. What can this method do better or is it supposed to do
something else?

Ken

--
Ken Anderson
Pacific.Net

Re: DNS ISP Host List Available

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
> >Marc Perkel wrote:
> >>I've also created a DNS based list of domains that provide consumer
> >>dynamic IP address space. I'm using this list internally but thought
> >>I'd make it public in case others can use it.
> >>
> >>Trying to inspire innovation.
> >>
> >>Example:
> >>
> >>dig comcast.com.isphosts.junkemailfilter.com
> >>
> >>This list was created by grabbing the registry barrier part of the
> >>domain name of IPs from other DNS lists that list the IPs as dynamic.

> Ken A wrote:
> >NJABL & PBL already provide this, AND they are already part of
> >SpamAssassin AND they work quite well.
> >So, while you are 'trying to inspire innovation', you should take note
> >of this potential problem:
> >http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/you-might-be.html

On 29.05.08 14:49, Marc Perkel wrote:
> They have name based lists? Show me where.

why should anyone need name-based lists?

I intend to live forever - so far so good.

Re: DNS ISP Host List Available

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

Posted by Ken A <ka...@pacific.net>.
John Hardin wrote:
> On Thu, 29 May 2008, Ken A wrote:
>
>> http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/you-might-be.html
>
> So how is a proponent of the "Hunt down and kill spammers very messily"
> FUSSP classified?

I'm suggesting that some homework should be done before creating a list
of this or that and then promoting it as something that it's NOT on the
SA users list.

A list of dynamic IP addresses is already available in the
correct/usable form. There's no need for a 'name based' version.

Marc said "This list was created by grabbing the registry barrier part
of the domain name of IPs from other DNS lists that list the IPs as
dynamic."

That would seem to translate to doing a reverse lookup or whois on PBL
or NJABL IPs. That's fine, but then he claims that his list is a "list
of domains that provide consumer dynamic IP address space".

But it's not. It may give you IP address ownership information if your
list is created using whois, but it doesn't tell you what ISP (domain)
assigned the address to the customer. If you are depending on reverse
lookups, then the info is more suspect, since ISPs are not very good at
keeping in-addr.arpa zones up to date. Also, many larger network
operators and ISPs trade/lease/rent consumer IP address space to other
ISPs very frequently. These addresses roam around to various ISPs. There
is no 1-to-1 mapping.

Ken

--
Ken Anderson
Pacific.Net

Re: DNS ISP Host List Available

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 29 May 2008, Blaine Fleming wrote:

> John Hardin wrote:
>>  So how is a proponent of the "Hunt down and kill spammers very
>>  messily" FUSSP classified?
>
> In the US, they would be classified as a felon.

Nah, I think that one falls under "praiseworthy".

   Have you ever seen a more scarily useless group of people running
   for president?                                    -- Barry@blogspot
  159 days until the Presidential Election

Re: DNS ISP Host List Available

Posted by Blaine Fleming <gr...@digital-z.com>.
John Hardin wrote:
> So how is a proponent of the "Hunt down and kill spammers very
> messily" FUSSP classified?

In the US, they would be classified as a felon.

--Blaine

Re: DNS ISP Host List Available

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.

Posted by Ken A <ka...@pacific.net>.

Posted by Henrik K <he...@hege.li>.
On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 07:38:19AM -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:

> Henrik K wrote:
>> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 11:25:19AM -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:
>>
>>> I've also created a DNS based list of domains that provide consumer
>>> dynamic IP address space. I'm using this list internally but thought
>>> I'd  make it public in case others can use it.
>>>
>>> Trying to inspire innovation.
>>>
>>> Example:
>>>
>>> dig comcast.com.isphosts.junkemailfilter.com
>>>
>>> This list was created by grabbing the registry barrier part of the
>>> domain name of IPs from other DNS lists that list the IPs as dynamic.
>>>

>> How is one supposed to use this list? You posted a _very_ general list that
>> will match all the ISPs legimate outgoing MX servers too. So it's must not
>> be for blocking or even positive scoring.
>>

> As I said. I'm trying to inspire innovation. For example, if you have an
> URIBL list and subtract out the ISP hosts then you woud have a name
> based blacklist. That's one of the ways I'm using it. It is not a
> blacklist. I'm making it available for anyone who might find it useful
> but you will have to figure it out for yourself. I am just providing the
> information.

Ok, you should have been clear on that from the beginning to reduce list
noise. :)

I can't think of any use for DNS list though, you should provide a
downloadable list if you want it to be free.

Re: DNS ISP Host List Available

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

Posted by Henrik K <he...@hege.li>.

Posted by Michelle Konzack <li...@tamay-dogan.net>.
Hi Marc,

Am 2008-05-29 11:52:50, schrieb Marc Perkel:
> Here's my list in dnsrbl format. I only do rsync so far to paid
> subscribers or people who I'm trading with.

Missing Domains:

        .freenet.de
        .arcor.de
        .arcor.com

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

Re: DNS ISP Host List Available

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Thu, May 29, 2008 20:52, Marc Perkel wrote:

> Here's my list in dnsrbl format. I only do rsync so far to paid
> subscribers or people who I'm trading with.

could you atleast stop posting html on maillist ?

the list is around 60k and the recieved email here is doubled to 129k ://

Posted by Blaine Fleming <gr...@digital-z.com>.
mouss wrote:
> are you using an old imode phone :) The message was about 125Ko.
> That's less than a small photo (I say this because that's what a
> "smartphone" is for, no?).

Samsung SCH-i760 on Verizon that takes forever to download mail so when
something longer than about 4k comes in it takes a while.  Doesn't
really freeze the phone but it doesn't exactly respond well either.  It
works...mostly.

> hope this mail is ok :)
Not a problem!

--Blaine

Re: DNS ISP Host List Available

Posted by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>.
Blaine Fleming wrote:
> Marc Perkel wrote:
>> Here's my list in dnsrbl format. I only do rsync so far to paid
>> subscribers or people who I'm trading with.
>> <snip>
> Dude.  Seriously.  The data is appreciated but next time please post
> it on a website or something.  Your mail pissed off my smart phone!
> It might not be the best device out there but it normally works for me.

are you using an old imode phone :) The message was about 125Ko. That's
less than a small photo (I say this because that's what a "smartphone"
is for, no?).

> I'm more disgruntled about the frozen device than the email itself so
> feel free to wallop me with a frozen trout or whatever.
> --Blaine

hope this mail is ok :)

Re: DNS ISP Host List Available

Posted by Blaine Fleming <gr...@digital-z.com>.

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

mouss wrote:
> Marc Perkel wrote:
>> I've also created a DNS based list of domains that provide consumer
>> dynamic IP address space. I'm using this list internally but thought
>> I'd make it public in case others can use it.
>>
>> Trying to inspire innovation.
>>
>> Example:
>>
>> dig comcast.com.isphosts.junkemailfilter.com
>>
>> This list was created by grabbing the registry barrier part of the
>> domain name of IPs from other DNS lists that list the IPs as dynamic.
>>

> how about an rsync access? such lists do not change often, so rsync
> seems a better "API".

Here's my list in dnsrbl format. I only do rsync so far to paid
subscribers or people who I'm trading with.

:1:ISP $ See http://wiki.junkemailfilter.com/index.php/Spam_DNS_Lists

.002.ru
.012.net.il
.041net.co.yu