Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Kaushal Shriyan <ka...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/07 08:28:23 UTC

log4j

Hi,

I am running tomcat server apache-tomcat-5.5.27. I have set the below
parameters in log4j.properties

log4j.rootLogger=INFO, R
log4j.appender.R=org.apache.log4j.ISTDailyRollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.R.File=${catalina.home}/logs/catalina.out
log4j.appender.R.DatePattern='.'yyyy-MM-dd

ist-appender.jar,log4j-1.2.15.jar and commons-logging-1.1.1.jar under
common/lib directory.

The above settings didnot worked. is there a way to know why it didnot worked

Please suggest/guide

Thanks

Kaushal

Re: log4j

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 18:32:31 +0530
  Kaushal Shriyan <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 17:59:23 +0530
>>  Kaushal Shriyan <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks Jake.
>>>
>>> Thanks, I could see it on catalina.out file where in system.out and
>>> system.err files goes.

>>> Please help me understand by providing examples.
>>>
>>> Basically if i set log4j.appender.R.DatePattern='.'yyyy-MM-dd in
>>> log4j.properties It rolls over at midnight. is there a way to roll
>>> over at say 12:00 Noon afternoon
>>>

>> Oh, I see.  Sorry, I thought you were asking if you could delay
>> instantiation of your appender.  Rather, you want to define when it rolls.
>> See:
>>
>> http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/DailyRollingFileAppender.html
>>
>> As you can see, DailyRollingFileAppender is somewhat lacking in
>> flexibility.  You may have more luck with the Log4j-extras companion [1].
>> Specifically, RollingFileAppender [2] with a TimeBasedRollingPolicy [3].
>>
>> [1] http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/extras/index.html
>> [2]
>> http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/extras/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/rolling/RollingFileAppender.html
>> [3]
>> http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/extras/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/rolling/TimeBasedRollingPolicy.html
>>

>> Jake
>
> Jake,
>
> I referred to
>http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/extras/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/rolling/TimeBasedRollingPolicy.html
> it has only two options
>
> /wombat/folder/foo.%d (Daily rollover (at midnight). Due to the
> omission of the optional time and date pattern for the %d token
> specifier, the default pattern of "yyyy-MM-dd" is assumed, which
> corresponds to daily rollover.)
>
> /wombat/foo.%d{yyyy-MM}.log (Rollover at the beginning of each month.)
>
> Not sure though how it would fit it into my specific needs.

You're not reading closely enough.  The first example leaves off the "optional
time and date".  The second example leaves off the "optional time".  Using the
optional time is the key.

The Logback docs contain some more documentation on the
TimeBasedRollingPolicy, which shows some time configuration.  That said, it
doesn't provide an example for using a specific time of day.  You might want
to post a separate thread on the Log4j-user list or even the Logback list to
see if someone knows the proper syntax.  It seems like it should be possible.

http://logback.qos.ch/manual/appenders.html#TimeBasedRollingPolicy

You should be able to go by this documentation as both the Log4j-extras and
Logback implementations have the same origin: the discontinued Log4j 1.3
effort.

Jake

Re: log4j

Posted by Kaushal Shriyan <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 17:59:23 +0530
>  Kaushal Shriyan <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> When -Dlog4j.debug=true is set, Log4j prints its configuration progress
>>> System.err.  With this, you should be able to see which config file is
>>> being
>>> picked up
>>
>> Thanks Jake.
>>
>> Thanks, I could see it on catalina.out file where in system.out and
>> system.err files goes.
>>
>>> You can run your appender at a specified time by not placing
>>> log4j.properties in the classpath.  But then you'll have to manually
>>> configure it at some later point.
>>>
>> Please help me understand by providing examples.
>>
>> Basically if i set log4j.appender.R.DatePattern='.'yyyy-MM-dd in
>> log4j.properties It rolls over at midnight. is there a way to roll
>> over at say 12:00 Noon afternoon
>>

> Oh, I see.  Sorry, I thought you were asking if you could delay
> instantiation of your appender.  Rather, you want to define when it rolls.
> See:
>
> http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/DailyRollingFileAppender.html
>
> As you can see, DailyRollingFileAppender is somewhat lacking in
> flexibility.  You may have more luck with the Log4j-extras companion [1].
> Specifically, RollingFileAppender [2] with a TimeBasedRollingPolicy [3].
>
> [1] http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/extras/index.html
> [2]
> http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/extras/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/rolling/RollingFileAppender.html
> [3]
> http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/extras/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/rolling/TimeBasedRollingPolicy.html
>

> Jake

Jake,

I referred to http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/extras/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/rolling/TimeBasedRollingPolicy.html

Re: log4j

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 17:59:23 +0530

Re: log4j

Posted by Kaushal Shriyan <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: log4j

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
When -Dlog4j.debug=true is set, Log4j prints its configuration progress to
System.err.  With this, you should be able to see which config file is being
picked up.

You can run your appender at a specified time by not placing log4j.properties
in the classpath.  But then you'll have to manually configure it at some later
point.

Note that if you also place a log4j.jar with WEB-INF/lib and another Log4j
config file in WEB-INF/classes of your webapp, you will get a separate logger
repository from the server containing a different configuration.  If you
remove your config file from WEB-INF/classes, you'll still have a separate
logger repository from the server but use the same config as the server.

Jake

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 10:21:39 +0530

Re: log4j

Posted by Kaushal Shriyan <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: log4j

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Where did you put log4j.properties?  For Tomcat 5.5.xx, it should be in
CATALINA_HOME/common/classes.

Try adding the following to CATALINA_OPTS....

-Dlog4j.debug=true

Jake

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 11:58:23 +0530