Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/11/13 19:21:21 UTC

Web Presence for ALL Jakarta Commons components

> > there is precedent, albeit comatose, in the sandbox 'filters'
> > and 'servlet' components.

> Yet another set of components that are not on the Jakarta Commons
> web page (http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/).  Did it never occur
> to anyone that projects might be comotose because no one knows
> about them?  I, for one, have code that could have gone in there,
> but I didn't know it existed.

Can we agree on how to handle these projects?  Every project in the CVS
ought to have a web presence.  If there isn't anyting particularly useful
(no one created web content), then we should at least list it with a URL to
its CVS presence.  I think we discussed this before, but no one effected a
change.

	--- Noel

RE: Web Presence for ALL Jakarta Commons components

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Yup. The WikiAdmin page lists you as one of them, too. ;-)

I'm not subscribed to wikidiff, though.

> Um, OK. I guess I missed that we're changing wikis (again?).

Again?  The current Wiki is the original one that Andrew Oliver installed.
The new one is MoinMoin, which has (amongst other benefits) the ability to
have a Wiki per-PMC.  That addresses oversight concerns that have been
raised, plus it has a lot more functionality.

> Any idea what the timeframe is likely to be?

It is up and running now.  AFAIK, the only hangup is migrating existing
pages.

> I'd guess that it's not quite imminent, so we should
> find a workaround for the current wiki in the meantime?

Hmmm ... if you want, I could look into setting up the Jakarta Wiki, even
without the data currently on nagoya.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> > I'd like to add tables for the Current Status, but it appears that tables
> > are not currently enabled for our wiki. I've requested that from the wiki
> > admin folks, so hopefully I'll be able to add them soon.
>
> You have?  I don't recall seeing ... OH!  You must have posted to the Wiki
> Admin list instead of the infrastructure list.

Yup. The WikiAdmin page lists you as one of them, too. ;-)

> The current Wiki is
> expected to go hasta la bye-bye soon.  The new Wiki technology can be seen
> at http://wiki.apache.org/.  There are a few people who have volunteered to
> help migrate the data from the current wiki, so as soon as they have that
> worked out, hopefully we can migrate and cut over.  When that happens, there
> will be a Wiki specifically for Jakarta.

Um, OK. I guess I missed that we're changing wikis (again?). Any idea what
the timeframe is likely to be? I'd guess that it's not quite imminent, so
we should find a workaround for the current wiki in the meantime?

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, Brent Worden wrote:

> [...]

Cool. I've embellished that a bit, but there's still more I want to add.

JSVC

Posted by Yuan John Jiang <yj...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

I downloaded the commons-daemon-1.0-Alpha for Linux/RH and got the
following problem.  It looks like a problem finding the
org/apache/commons/daemon/support/DaemonLoader
class.  But commons-daemon.jar is definitely in the -cp option.
I'm lost.  I'd appreciate if some one can shed some light.  Thanks.

John
----------------
# jsvc -debug -cp commons-daemon.jar:... MAIN-CLASS

jsvc.exec debug: redirecting stdout to /dev/null and stderr to
/dev/null
library /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_02/jre/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so loaded
jsvc.exec debug: JVM library entry point found (0x401EF864)
jsvc.exec debug: | Version:                       10002
jsvc.exec debug: |   "-Djava.class.path=commons-daemon.jar:...
(0x00000000)
jsvc.exec debug: Java VM created successfully
jsvc.exec error: Cannot find daemon loader
org/apache/commons/daemon/support/DaemonLoader
jsvc.exec error: Service exit with a return value of 1

RE: Web Presence for ALL Jakarta Commons components

Posted by Brent Worden <br...@worden.org>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Tim O'Brien wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 14:08, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > > Certainly, the differing build systems and websites are a problem.  I'm
> > > just not comfortable yet with the idea that I have to build all
> > > component's sites to update a small piece of a component I'm directly
> > > working on.
> >
> > As I understand it, the proposal is to use the multi-project plug-in.  I
> > believe that you should be able to build just your own, too.  Not sure what
> > happens if you want to build everything that can build if they don't have
> > dependencies on ones that didn't build, but that ought to be something that
> > the Maven mavens can address.
> >

> Different projects are going to want to update sites at different
> frequencies.  I think we should make an attempt to achieve consistency
> throughout the J-C sites before attempting to create a system generate
> and publish every single J-C project.  Different projects change at
> different frequencies, and we should leave the process of publishing the
> site to each component.

+1 for achieving consistency as a first step. If we want to use the Maven
multi-project plug-in, having everything Mavenised first will (probably)
make that easier. (I say "probably" because I've never played with the
multi-project stuff myself.)

Regarding publishing the sites, I'm not all that worried about that. There
is already a system in place to automatically update the main Jakarta site
periodically (i.e. every few hours), and I suspect it wouldn't be hard to
piggy back on that. Of course, that will be easier when we have one
Commons site to update, rather than one per component, but hey, baby steps
first. ;-)

Posted by Tim O'Brien <to...@discursive.com>.

Posted by Dirk Verbeeck <di...@pandora.be>.
(inline)
Rodney Waldhoff wrote:

> Two clarifications:
>
> (1) jakarta-commons-sandbox/primitives and jakarta-commons/primitives are
> two different things. I think the plan is to remove or rename the
> sandboxed version at some point, but I don't think we need to put a lot of
> time pressure on that necessarily.

My mistake, it looked very much like the primitive collections.

> (2) jakarta-commons-sandbox/jux does in fact have real code
> (<http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/jux/xref/org/apache/commons/jux/ObjectTestCase.html>).
> It extends junit.framework.TestCase, but that's the point, it's a base
> test case.  It also has a web presence
> (<http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/jux/>) and a snapshot
> distribution
> (<http://cvs.apache.org/builds/jakarta-commons/nightly/commons-jux/>).

Probably a jakarta record, the smallest distribution ever ;-)

> Otherwise I'm in favor of cleaning up the sandbox.

-- Dirk

Re: Web Presence for ALL Jakarta Commons components

Posted by Rodney Waldhoff <rw...@apache.org>.
Two clarifications:

- Rod <http://radio.weblogs.com/0122027/>

RE: [math] Current CVS status

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Please test and verify that you can checkout and build the new cvs tree

I can now.  I could not last night, so something is definitely fixed.  Good
work.  :-)

	--- Noel

Re: [math] Current CVS status

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Dirk has completed the commit process to bring the cvs uptodate with
where the original /home/cvs/jakarta-commons/math cvs tree was at. He
should be applauded for this great effort on his part to assist us in
maintaining all the historical information in the tree. :-)

Please test and verify that you can checkout and build the new cvs tree
properly and contact the list if you have any issues, please also verify
that any patches you provided are still accurately reflected in the
current head of the tree.

Thanks Dirk! :-)
-Mark

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer

[math] Current CVS status

[math] Merging two cvs trees

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Sorry I meant this to go to the math group

-Mark

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center
http://osprey.hmdc.harvard.edu

Mergin two cvs trees

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Dirk,

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
There are about 16 commits that I made after move, it shouldn't be
difficult to redo these. I'll make an announcement to the group.

-Mark

Dirk Verbeeck wrote:
> First we should inform all math committers of course.
>
> I will take a closer look tomorrow evening but we should undelete the
> files in the sandbox, backup the proper version, do the move like you
> described and then either redo all changes (including commit log) or do
> a simple merge.
> If there are only a few of them then we can use the commit mails.
> The bulk changes, renaming and stuff can be done by merging the backuped
> fileset into the new fileset.
>
> -- Dirk
>
> Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>
>> this would be wise, before things get too different. What would be the
>> best approach to tackle this?
>>
>> -Mark
>>
>> Dirk Verbeeck wrote:
>>
>>> It's only 12 days ago that the move was done.
>>> We could redo the move and then reapply all changes since the move.
>>>
>>> It is a little extra work but if the historical information is
>>> important it is probably worth the effort.
>>>
>>> -- Dirk

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center
http://www.hmdc.harvard.edu

Re: Web Presence for ALL Jakarta Commons components

Posted by Dirk Verbeeck <di...@pandora.be>.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Posted by Dirk Verbeeck <di...@pandora.be>.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Posted by Rodney Waldhoff <rw...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Martin Cooper wrote:

> Personally, I'd prefer to see any given component exist (actively) in
> either Proper or the sandbox, but not both. Once a component has been
> promoted, it should stay in Proper, and its presence in the sandbox should
> be removed. I understand the history in the particular case of CLI, but
> I'd just as soon avoid that particular scenario going forward.

+1

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, John Keyes wrote:

> <snip/>
>
> > Shouldn't we cleanup the sandbox a bit first?
> > (tar & rm)
> > The following components are graduated out the sandbox:
> > betwixt		cli		codec
> > daemon		dbutils		digester
> > discovery	el		fileupload
> > jelly		jexl		lang
> > latka		launcher	logging
> > math		modeler		primitives
>
> CLI has returned to the 'sandbox'.  This was to grant commit
> privileges to someone who didn't have Jakarta commons commit
> privileges.  Now I'm unsure if this was the correct approach
> (I did broach the subject on the dev list) but it certainly
> allowed us to continue very easily.  So I think a better
> means to determine whether a sandbox project should be removed
> or not should be determined by activity.

If said person has demonstrated useful contributions to CLI in the
sandbox, then it seems to me that it would be appropriate to propose that
they now become a Commons Proper committer.

Deciding upon the removal, or otherwise, of components from the sandbox
base on activity alone is not quite right, I think. As Noel pointed out
when he started this thread, there are components in the sandbox that
might have generated a community around them, had they actually been made
visible on the web site.

Posted by John Keyes <jb...@mac.com>.
<snip/>

Posted by Dirk Verbeeck <di...@pandora.be>.
On the infrastructure list there was some discussion a while ago about putting
old unreleased unmaintained code in a special "graveyard" section.

something to consider?

-- Dirk

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.
--- Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> > > Yet another set of components that are not on the Jakarta Commons
> > > web page (http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/).  Did it never occur
> > > to anyone that projects might be comotose because no one knows
> > > about them?  I, for one, have code that could have gone in there,
> > > but I didn't know it existed.
> >
> > Can we agree on how to handle these projects?  Every project in the
> CVS
> > ought to have a web presence.  If there isn't anyting particularly
> useful
> > (no one created web content), then we should at least list it with a
> URL to
> > its CVS presence.  I think we discussed this before, but no one
> effected a
> > change.
>
> IMHO, the best way to handle this is to have ONE mechanism to build ONE
> web site for ONE Jakarta project - i.e. Jakarta Commons. Right now, each
> component is responsible for putting up its own web presence, and many
> folks who drop things into the sandbox do not bother doing that - or
> even
> providing any documentation at all to indicate what it is / does.
>
> If we could decide on one mechanism for generating web content (Maven
> would be my choice because it does so much for so little work), and have
> mechanism that would create a unified Commons web site, that would be
> great.

I am also a big fan of Maven.

> As you suggest, any component that doesn't have any web content
> could still have at least a link to CVS. (Or perhaps there's a way to
> generate a minimal Maven site even in these cases?)

What about when one component X's build is broken and I want to update
component Y's website?  Do I have to fix X's build or just wait for X to
be fixed?  What if component X has site updates that are in progress and I
publish them prematurely with Y's update.  I'm reluctant to push updates
to the commons website because of the build and the risk for ruining the
entire site.  As it is now, I just ruin my own component.

Of course, all components' builds should work and site updates be
committed in one step but are we certain that will happen every time?
Especially with people new to the commons?

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> > > there is precedent, albeit comatose, in the sandbox 'filters'
> > > and 'servlet' components.
>
> > Yet another set of components that are not on the Jakarta Commons
> > web page (http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/).  Did it never occur
> > to anyone that projects might be comotose because no one knows
> > about them?  I, for one, have code that could have gone in there,
> > but I didn't know it existed.
>
> Can we agree on how to handle these projects?  Every project in the CVS
> ought to have a web presence.  If there isn't anyting particularly useful
> (no one created web content), then we should at least list it with a URL to
> its CVS presence.  I think we discussed this before, but no one effected a
> change.

IMHO, the best way to handle this is to have ONE mechanism to build ONE
web site for ONE Jakarta project - i.e. Jakarta Commons. Right now, each
component is responsible for putting up its own web presence, and many
folks who drop things into the sandbox do not bother doing that - or even
providing any documentation at all to indicate what it is / does.

If we could decide on one mechanism for generating web content (Maven
would be my choice because it does so much for so little work), and have a
mechanism that would create a unified Commons web site, that would be
great. As you suggest, any component that doesn't have any web content

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Mark,

> If everything were mavenized couldn't we use the multiproject plugin to

That is a means.  I don't care about the means.  I only care that it exists.
If someone wants to mavenize everything, fine.  If people object because
they want everything to require only Ant, fine.  I just don't want to see
one issue held hostage to the other.  :-)

You and Martin Cooper both favor Maven.  If no one objects, would you guys
be willing to do the work?  I'm a not a Maven maven.  :-)

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
If everything were mavenized couldn't we use the multiproject plugin to
render the entire commons sandbox on its own? Default settings would
render at least a "html" shell for those projects that don't have a
project.xml. Or simply maintain that all sandbox components should
maintain a project.xml and someone insert a default one in each project
that doesn't have one?

-Mark