Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by John Raines <ra...@tc.umn.edu> on 2012/07/29 13:19:10 UTC

[users@httpd] apxs

years ago I built a little website using mod_python. Recently I got a Raspberry pi and have been looking at redoing that website. My expectation is that I won't be able to make mod_python work but since it would be a lot less work to use it I thought I should take a look.

The installation instructions require me to reference apxs. I could not find that on the installation on the RPi but looking at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/programs/apxs.html it still seems to exist. The instructions there say I should have it if I have mod_so.

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ httpd -l
-bash: httpd: command not found
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ apache2 -l
Compiled in modules:
  core.c
  mod_log_config.c
  mod_logio.c
  mod_version.c
  worker.c
  http_core.c
  mod_so.c
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ apxs
-bash: apxs: command not found
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ apachectl -v
/usr/sbin/apachectl: 87: ulimit: error setting limit (Operation not permitted)
Server version: Apache/2.2.22 (Debian)
Server built:   Jun 30 2012 06:18:51
pi@raspberrypi ~ $

I am very inexperienced at this and what experience I have is 7 or 8 years ago and my recollections are pretty fuzzy.

Only some of us can learn from other people’s mistakes.
The rest of us have to be the other people.

John Raines

Re: [users@httpd] apxs

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 10:16 AM, Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yet the link I cited says if I have mod_so it should be there??
> If someone else packaged your apache build, consult the doc specific
> to that packaging.

At the command line try "locate apxs" and that should be a start.

Note that some packagers (e.g., Debian), call the file 'apxs2'.

Best regards,

-Tom

Re: [users@httpd] apxs

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
> Yet the link I cited says if I have mod_so it should be there??

No, the link means if your apache is built with mod_so, you can load
modules dynamically.  apxs helps you build such modules.

Re: [users@httpd] apxs

Posted by John Raines <ra...@tc.umn.edu>.
Thanks.
I'm using ssh from my mac to connect to the RPi. Being unable to find apxs with some groping about, I typed
pi@raspberrypi / $ ls -R

and, of course, got a huge listing of files in various directories.  Then using the Terminal's 'find' command I searched for apxs. That was not found. Yet the link I cited says if I have mod_so it should be there??

Also I understood the lines

apxs -g [ -S name=value ] -n modname

apxs -q [ -S name=value ] query ...

apxs -c [ -S name=value ] [ -o dsofile ] [ -I incdir ] [ -D name=value ] [ -L libdir ] [ -l libname ] [ -Wc,compiler-flags ] [ -Wl,linker-flags ] files ...

apxs -i [ -S name=value ] [ -n modname ] [ -a ] [ -A ] dso-file ...

apxs -e [ -S name=value ] [ -n modname ] [ -a ] [ -A ] dso-file ...

to mean that apxs could be typed at the command line.

On Jul 29, 2012, at 6:31 AM, Igor Cicimov wrote:

> It is not a system binary it is located under bin directory of your apache install location. On my system (apache compiled from source) for example is under /usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs. Use the full path to apxs when using it.
> On Jul 29, 2012 9:19 PM, "John Raines" <ra...@tc.umn.edu> wrote:
> years ago I built a little website using mod_python. Recently I got a Raspberry pi and have been looking at redoing that website. My expectation is that I won't be able to make mod_python work but since it would be a lot less work to use it I thought I should take a look.
>
> The installation instructions require me to reference apxs. I could not find that on the installation on the RPi but looking at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/programs/apxs.html it still seems to exist. The instructions there say I should have it if I have mod_so.
>
> pi@raspberrypi ~ $ httpd -l
> -bash: httpd: command not found
> pi@raspberrypi ~ $ apache2 -l
> Compiled in modules:
>   core.c
>   mod_log_config.c
>   mod_logio.c
>   mod_version.c
>   worker.c
>   http_core.c
>   mod_so.c
> pi@raspberrypi ~ $ apxs
> -bash: apxs: command not found
> pi@raspberrypi ~ $ apachectl -v
> /usr/sbin/apachectl: 87: ulimit: error setting limit (Operation not permitted)
> Server version: Apache/2.2.22 (Debian)
> Server built:   Jun 30 2012 06:18:51
> pi@raspberrypi ~ $
>
> I am very inexperienced at this and what experience I have is 7 or 8 years ago and my recollections are pretty fuzzy.
>
> Only some of us can learn from other people’s mistakes.
> The rest of us have to be the other people.
>
> John Raines

John Raines

Re: [users@httpd] apxs

Posted by Igor Cicimov <ic...@gmail.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] apxs

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On 29 Jul 2012, at 12:19, John Raines wrote:

> The installation instructions require me to reference apxs. I could not find that on the installation on the RPi but looking at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/programs/apxs.html it still seems to exist. The instructions there say I should have it if I have mod_so.

Since you're using a debian package, anything you read in the apache docs
may have been changed by your packager.  Check debian docs instead
(if you can find them), or look for the distros page on the apache wiki.

In this case I expect what you need may be a package called something like
apache2-dev or apache2-devel.

--
Nick Kew