Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Michael James <st...@drexel.edu> on 2003/11/30 23:25:07 UTC

module.packages in Jetspeed 1.4 final

Hi,

	Hopefully someone has an answer for this question, but I haven't seen
it on the online mail archive.

	I am trying to upgrade from Jetspeed 1.4b4 to Jetspeed 1.4 final.
Under Jetspeed 1.4b4, I had many custom Velocity portlets that worked
just fine, but now no longer work under the 1.4 final version.  They
compile fine, but when I run 1.4 final and try to look at one of my
portlets, I get a ClassNotFoundException and the message is that my
actions cannot be found on the module.packages path (which is the same
as it was under 1.4b4).

	My Velocity portlets mirror those that Jetspeed ships with exactly.
My actions are under the package name
com.company.modules.actions.portlets.  My module.packages property has
com.company.modules listed before org.apache.jetspeed.modules and
org.apache.turbine.modules.  My source code is rooted in the src/java
directory right alongside the source code for Jetspeed.  Jetspeed can
see and access my Velocity templates, but not the actions.  My source
code gets compiled by the build.xml file in jetspeed's build directory.
  I don't make any modifications to the build file, but I do change the
deploy.dir property in the build.properties file that build file uses.
I run the deploy target when I compile.  I don't get any errors or
warnings when I run the build file and my custom portlets' code gets
compiled and placed in the jetspeed.war's WEB-INF/classes directory
which is where Jetspeed's code is also.

	In Jetspeed 1.4b4, I had my psml files stored in the database, which I
would like to keep if possible.  But if I have to blow away the
jetspeed database to get my portlets working, I can live with that for
now.  I have noticed that when I run Jetspeed using the psml files in
my database (which was originally created in the 1.4b4 version), the
layout drop down in the page's default customizer is empty.  When I run
it using the file-based psml that came with Jetspeed 1.4 final, this
drop down is populated.

	Has anyone else had this problem?  And if so, how did you overcome it?
  Before you answer, I have tried the following without success:

1. I have tried renaming my module in the module.packages path to
com.company.modules.actions
2. I have tried moving my custom actions and parameters into the
Jetspeed source tree.  So instead of my actions having the package name
com.company.modules.actions.portlets, they are at
org.apache.jetspeed.modules.actions.portlets
3. I have tried using the local file-based psml instead the psml I had
in the database.
4. I have tried putting my .class files in a .jar file and putting the
jar in the web app's WEB-INF/lib directory.

	I am using Tomcat 4.1.24 for deployment and using MySQL 3.23.58 for my
database.

	Any help or advice you can give will be tremendously appreciated as I
have been trying to figure this one out for the better half of the
Thanksgiving holiday.

- Michael James
st962xmz@drexel.edu

RE: module.packages in Jetspeed 1.4 final

Posted by Bob Fleischman <bo...@mindspring.com>.
Michael:

We had a similar problem. It seems that the Turbine Action Loader will
sometimes throw that error when in fact the action class has been found but
something within the class is broken.

In our case we were still using the TurbineLoggingService which is turned
off in Jetspeed 1.4 final. When we changed these to  JetspeedLoggingService
everything worked fine.

Hope this helps.

Bob