Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Hilco Wijbenga <hi...@gmail.com> on 2016/12/23 00:06:48 UTC

Takari Maven Lifecycle

Hi all,

Has anyone used the Takari Maven Lifecycle? Today, I added it to our
build to find out which transitive dependencies really should be
direct dependencies but I don't get a single failure. I'm not buying
that... :-)

In my base POM (in <build><plugins>) I have this:

<plugin>
    <groupId>io.takari.maven.plugins</groupId>
    <artifactId>takari-lifecycle-plugin</artifactId>
    <version>1.11.12</version>
    <extensions>true</extensions>
    <configuration>
        <proc>proc</proc>
        <accessRulesViolation>error</accessRulesViolation>
        <compilerId>jdt</compilerId>
        <source>1.7</source>
        <target>1.7</target>
    </configuration>
</plugin>

I can't use 1.12.x because we are still on JDK 1.7. The <source> and
<target> are probably redundant but ToolChains is apparently not
supported so this seems like the best solution for when we move to JDK
1.8.

If I comment out a Test or Compile dependency that I know we depend on
directly then I get no error. I had a look at the source on GitHub and
my "accessRulesViolation" and "compilerId" settings seem correct (it
certainly matches the documentation).

Has anyone tried this and did it work for you? Am I missing some
additional configuration or plugin? Does any reference of, say, the
maven-compiler-plugin somehow invalidate the accessRulesViolation
setting?

Cheers,
Hilco

Re: Takari Maven Lifecycle

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com>.
Hilco Wijbenga wrote on 2016-12-23 09:42:

> On 23 December 2016 at 08:58, Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com> wrote:
>> From what I remember this is mostly a PoC feature and by default it doesnt
>> complain or break things.
>
> Indeed, you have to explicitly enable it and use the Eclipse compiler ...
>
>> The docs are here
>> http://takari.io/book/40-lifecycle.html#enforcing-dependency-usage-during-compilation
>
> ... as explained here. :-)
>
>> But I think it will be more helpful to watch the demo from Igor. He showed it
>> at one our our past Maven developer hangouts. Unfortunately I dont remember
>> which one...
>
> I don't really want to sit through hours of videos just to find one
> tidbit of configuration. :-) Do you remember (roughly) when this
> elusive hangout took place?

Sorry... I dont really remember and when looking at the recordings I could not locate it either.

> Is Takari still being developed? The one release is from 2014 and the
> last hangout was April 30, 2015. If not, then that would be
> disappointing because I think it has a lot of promise.

I know that it is being used at some Fortune 100 companies and usage is in fact increasing. There is still development going on as well albeit slowly and carefully as the projects involved are very large.

> I tried to install TEAM but the installation page
> (http://takari.io/book/20-introduction.html#installing-team) is very
> clearly wrong in several places (and "mvn team:install or whatever"
> does not inspire confidence). Not that installing it was difficult but
> I don't see anything different when running a build.

I have to get back to revisit the docs. There is definitely a need to update them. I hope to get to it within the next months and will work with Jason and Igor to firm things up a bit.

That all said.. we definitely are open to improvements from the community. So if you spot any issues like the above feel free to let us know via email or on github e.g. at https://github.com/takari/takari-lifecycle as an issue or pull request.

Hth
Manfred

Re: Takari Maven Lifecycle

Posted by Hilco Wijbenga <hi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Takari Maven Lifecycle

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com>.
From what I remember this is mostly a PoC feature and by default it doesnt complain or break things.

The docs are here http://takari.io/book/40-lifecycle.html#enforcing-dependency-usage-during-compilation

But I think it will be more helpful to watch the demo from Igor. He showed it at one our our past Maven developer hangouts. Unfortunately I dont remember which one...

Here is the list of all of them

http://takari.io/events.html

and here the playlist

https://www.youtube.com/user/takariinc/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd