Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Owen Nichols <on...@pivotal.io> on 2019/03/19 19:19:29 UTC

[DISCUSS] Proposal to re-cut Geode 1.9.0 release branch

The Geode 1.9.0 release branch was originally cut 4 weeks ago on Feb 19.  It was known at the time that develop was not as stable as desired, so we planned to cherry-pick fixes from develop until the release branch was stable enough to ship.  While this is a good strategy when starting from a fairly good baseline, it seems in this case it has only added complexity without leading to stability.

Looking at the pipelines over the last week (see attached metrics), it appears we have been far more successful at stabilizing develop than release/1.9.0.  Rather than trying to cherry-pick more and more fixes to the release branch, I propose we RE-CUT the 1.9.0 release branch later this week in order to start from a much more stable baseline.

-Owen

Re: [DISCUSS] Proposal to re-cut Geode 1.9.0 release branch

Posted by Anilkumar Gingade <ag...@pivotal.io>.
+1 to re-cut.

-Anil.

Posted by Dale Emery <de...@pivotal.io>.
Hi Alexander,

> On Mar 20, 2019, at 9:47 AM, Alexander Murmann <am...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Dale, do I understand correctly that the only concern around the Micrometer
> work right now it that it's not useful yet, however it's not harmful either?

It’s useful, but somewhat less usable than we want it to be. Currently the only way to publish the metrics is to implement a service loader. Dan suggested that we offer additional ways that are easier for Geode users. For example, passing a “publishing registry” to the cache factory. We think that’s a great idea, and we promised to do it, but haven’t done it yet.

Cheers,
Dale

—
Dale Emery
demery@pivotal.io

Re: [DISCUSS] Proposal to re-cut Geode 1.9.0 release branch

Posted by Sai Boorlagadda <sa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Owen. I am going to re-cut the branch for 1.9.0 and request
community to do the sanity check for the new branch.

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.
I can help.

Posted by Sai Boorlagadda <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dale Emery <de...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Alexander Murmann <aj...@gmail.com>.

--
Alexander J. Murmann
(650) 283-1933

Re: [DISCUSS] Proposal to re-cut Geode 1.9.0 release branch

Posted by Dave Barnes <db...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Barnes <db...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Alexander Murmann <am...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Barnes <db...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dale Emery <de...@pivotal.io>.
The Micrometer API is in, and marked as experimental. But we have not yet updated CacheFactory to allow injecting a meter registry (or metrics publishing service) there. So currently the only way to publish is to add metrics publishing service via the ServiceLoader mechanism.

—

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@pivotal.io>.
Manageability just yesterday moved all work-in-progress behind a feature flag; yes, we are comfortable releasing in the current state.

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Alexander Murmann <am...@apache.org>.
+1. We want to ship with confidence and we have more trust in develop right
now.

Posted by Dick Cavender <di...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bruce Schuchardt <bs...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Sai Boorlagadda <sa...@gmail.com>.