Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de> on 2012/01/20 16:12:54 UTC

Plans for a TextMarker release

  Hi,

I like to discuss the requirements and the realization of a release of
TextMarker system.

Here's a list of things I see that need to be done (please correct me if
I missed something)
- work off all vital jira issues
- provide documentation
- switch to maven build process (I could use some help of Jörn here)
- update meta information (e.g., provider of plugins)
- add javadoc (how much is neccessary?)

I could really use some official version for download and some eclipse
update site for the IDE, even if the system still has some weak points.

What are the options for a release version? Is a sandbox release
possible or do the projects need to be moved to the Addons or somewhere
else? If the latter is true, then it is probably only possible with an
official release of the Addon/SDK, right?

Best regards,

Peter

Dipl.-Inf. Peter Klügl
Universität Würzburg        Tel.: +49-(0)931-31-86741
Am Hubland                  Fax.: +49-(0)931-31-86732
97074 Würzburg              mail: pkluegl@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
      http://www.is.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/en/staff/kluegl_peter/

Re: Plans for a TextMarker release

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
  On 20.01.2012 16:21, Marshall Schor wrote:
> On 1/20/2012 10:12 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
>>  Hi,
>>
>> I like to discuss the requirements and the realization of a release
>> of TextMarker system.
>>
>> Here's a list of things I see that need to be done (please correct me
>> if I missed something)
>> - work off all vital jira issues
>> - provide documentation
>> - switch to maven build process (I could use some help of Jörn here)
>
> I may also be able to help :-)

All help is welcome  :-)

I'll open a jira issue for that and start with the conversion. Let's see
how far I get.

>> - update meta information (e.g., provider of plugins)
>> - add javadoc (how much is neccessary?)
>
> My take -
>
> Javadocs often serve as the reference for users who are using your
> published/stable/apis.  So it would be good to provide Javadocs for
> those.  For methods / classes which are internal only, these are
> optional.
>
> Sufficient general comments to enable others to (in the future) help
> out with maintenance are always welcome, and can be incrementally
> added as we go along.

That will be some work (I was a bit lazy). Should I open a jira issue
for that or commit those changes with "no jira"? There will probably be
some cross committing with other issues what won't be really helpful to
track the changes...

>> I could really use some official version for download and some
>> eclipse update site for the IDE, even if the system still has some
>> weak points.
>>
>> What are the options for a release version? Is a sandbox release
>> possible
>
> Yes, a sandbox release is possible, and I would recommend this until
> we feel some threshold has been crossed and we want to move this to
> the addons section.

Ah, that's good. What about an update site? If I create an update site
project in the sandbox, can we then somehow make it available?

Peter

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
  On 20.01.2012 16:15, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
> On 1/20/12 4:12 PM, Peter Klügl wrote:
>> - switch to maven build process (I could use some help of Jörn here)
>
> Sure, I can help out. Would be nice to see if we can somehow use a build
> process which is as well capable of using a newer version of eclipse
> (e.g. 3.5).
>
> Jörn

Oh, what is the problem? I thought that I have built at least the CAS
Editor with Indigo.

BTW: I'd like to separate the engine plugin in a normal maven project
with the implementation and a fetcher plugin for eclipse, because the
functionality of TextMarker analysis engines should be downloadable
without any dependencies to eclipse.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.