Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Tim Krieger <ti...@whiteops.com> on 2015/10/24 01:39:25 UTC

Kafka Mirror Maker & Encryption

Hey Guys,

I have been hunting through the archives and can't find anyone else
that has ran into this issue so I'm going to toss it out there an hope
someone can point me to a solution.

We are running two kafka clusters on opposite coasts in AWS and need to
have mirror maker copy the messages from one cluster to the other (
pretty straight forward mirror maker setup ).  The fly in the ointment
shows up when we add encryption on our data.  Now I know SSL support is
an 0.9 feature but we can't wait unless that's coming out this
weekend...

So, We have an ipsec tunnel for all site to site traffic.  Confirmed
that everything works when mirror maker is running on each kafka broker
on one coast, we can replicate data with all traffic through the VPN
tunnel.  Unfortunately, we can't maintan enough throughput with all the
traffic traversing this single connection.  So we have configured ipsec
transport tunnels ( esp with nat-t ) between all of our kafka brokers (
confirmed that they all talk to each other over the encrypted links via
telnet ), ping et all is working fine, but, the mirror maker consumer
process is no longer able to connect to the brokers on the remote
coast.

We have disabled ipsec and allowed traffic to traverse the open
internet and mirror maker works fine, when we enable the ipsec
transport tunnels everything falls apart.  Even the simple console
consumer is unable to connect.

the error we see ( after several seconds ) is :

WARN Fetching topic metadata with correlation id 0 for topics
[Set(test)] from broker [id:5,host:kafka-west-5,port:9092] failed
(kafka.client.ClientUtils$)
java.net.SocketTimeoutException

Disabling the ipsec encryption has everything working again so we are
fairly certain this is the issue, but I don't see why?  All other
protocols seem to work fine with encryption enabled, we can even telnet
to the kafka broker ports...

Any information and direction would be greatly apprechiated......