Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Neil Stevens <ne...@firstlightassociates.co.uk> on 2002/12/21 17:16:48 UTC

Debugging macros - how to change globalmacros without restarting turbine (2.1)

I expect a lot of people know this, but it seems to be hidden away a bit, so
for others like me, who need things stated clearly :-

1) Add property

services.VelocityService.velocimacro.permissions.allow.inline.to.replace.glo
bal = true

to Turbineresource.properties

2) restart turbine

3) Put #parse( "GlobalMacros.vm" ) into the top of the page that has the
problem

now you can keep on changing GlobalMacros and see the results straight away!

Don't forget to put things back once you have found the problem!

I hope this helps someone out there.

PS Perhaps someone could explain to me, in simple terms, how you can use
intake, for a project, when it has a massive bug in it?
ie if a user clears the contents of an optional field, intake just ignores
it, and the matching property keeps its old value!
Looking in the archive, this problem seems to have been raised on several
occasions, and some solutions proposed, but it doesn't get fixed!
What is going on?

RE: Debugging macros - how to change globalmacros without restarting turbine (2.1)

Posted by Quinton McCombs <qm...@nequalsone.com>.
There is an easier way to do this...

services.VelocityService.velocimacro.library.autoreload = true

The above setting will cause Velocity to check for changes to the macro
file and reload when needed.

To answer your question about intake, there is a patch available now.
See http://scarab.werken.com/issue/id/TTWS28 for more details of what is
changed by the patch.

The changes should be part of Turbine 2.3.  It might also make sense to
factor out just the changes for that particular bug fix and apply them
to the 2.2.1 version.  This is more a discussion for the dev list
though...