Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com> on 2006/02/10 20:52:31 UTC

[OT] Re: With a new project, what technologies should I use?

Larry Meadors wrote:
>  - iBATIS because HQL sucks, and every coder worth *paying* knows SQL

I'd actually disagree with this... unless we're using different
definition of "knows". Many (most?) developers might have the basics of
SQL down, but becoming an expert in SQL is the same as in any other
language: it's non-trivial.

Dave

Re: [OT] Re: With a new project, what technologies should I use?

Posted by Larry Meadors <lm...@apache.org>.
By "knows", I mean the basics (insert/update/delete) and at least how
to do sub-selects and how to use "group by".

I do not expect *everyone* to be a stored procedure stud, but they
need to know when and how to use them if they need to, and be able to
say "I don't know, can you help me?" when needed.

If they do not have that degree of knowledge and security, the
interview is over (unless they make *really* good coffee and offer to
bring donuts every day).

IMO, a solid knowledge of  HQL is worth about 3/26th of the alphabet. ;-)

Larry