Posted to dev@tika.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/19 12:16:35 UTC

Web Site

i wondered whether it might be time to make some change to the tika website

as a developer, i find the maven generated sites are really great. ATM
i have to checkout the source and build my own. i'm fine with this but
it may be a barrier for others.

i find creating user content much easier and quicker with confluence.
it also allows a lower barrier to entry for documentation (anyone with
CLA can be given karma without needing to be a committer).

so, i wondering whether it might be better to switch to confluence for
the content on the main site and then use maven to generate modular
subsites aimed at developers and linked from the main site.

- robert

Re: Web Site

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
> <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> the round trip time is the major pain for me
>>
>> on my AMD64 3000, "mvn clean package site" takes 8 mins and "mvn site"
>>  5 mins (maxing CPU and memory)
>
> Try "mvn site:run" and you'll see the generated HTML updated on the
> fly as you make changes to the source APT files.

that's cool :-)

thanks

- robert

Re: Web Site

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> the round trip time is the major pain for me
>
> on my AMD64 3000, "mvn clean package site" takes 8 mins and "mvn site"
>  5 mins (maxing CPU and memory)

Try "mvn site:run" and you'll see the generated HTML updated on the
fly as you make changes to the source APT files.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Web Site

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

<snip>

>> i find creating user content much easier and quicker with confluence.
>> it also allows a lower barrier to entry for documentation (anyone with
>> CLA can be given karma without needing to be a committer).
>
> Anyone with a CLA can also be made an svn committer. The svn tooling
> might be a bit troublesome for newbies, but the APT format we use is
> as simple as editing a wiki.
>
> We already have a mechanism that automatically builds and deploys the
> web site, so contributors don't need to worry about that part.

the round trip time is the major pain for me

on my AMD64 3000, "mvn clean package site" takes 8 mins and "mvn site"
 5 mins (maxing CPU and memory)

this reduces quality (i can't proof read is too slow) and quantity.
i'm also *much* less likely to create substantial documentation since
forces me to dedicate my more powerful development box to the task.

- robert

Re: Web Site

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i wondered whether it might be time to make some change to the tika website

It probably is. See also the related earlier discussion:
http://markmail.org/message/h2tv4xnvvnqnwok5

> i find creating user content much easier and quicker with confluence.
> it also allows a lower barrier to entry for documentation (anyone with
> CLA can be given karma without needing to be a committer).

Anyone with a CLA can also be made an svn committer. The svn tooling
might be a bit troublesome for newbies, but the APT format we use is
as simple as editing a wiki.

We already have a mechanism that automatically builds and deploys the
web site, so contributors don't need to worry about that part.

> so, i wondering whether it might be better to switch to confluence for
> the content on the main site and then use maven to generate modular
> subsites aimed at developers and linked from the main site.

Having used Confluence now in a few projects I'm not that happy with
it. The change notifications it generates are quite useless and the
auto-export mechanism is hard to customize. Also, the infrastructure
team is currently not too happy about the fact that the Confluence
installation is not being properly maintained.

So, for now I'd stick with the Maven-generated site, and perhaps make
the Tika wiki (http://wiki.apache.org/tika/FrontPage) more prominent
to encourage random documentation contributions.

BR,

Jukka Zitting