Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com> on 2011/04/10 07:13:38 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Move common, hdfs, mapreduce contrib components to apache-extras.org or elsewhere

On Mar 5, 2011, at 1:29 PM, Eric Baldeschwieler wrote:

> Hi Nigel,
>
> I liked your previous plan.  Could you summarize your current plan?

I basically gave up.  Most everyone I talked to at various meetups was enthusiastically supportive of removing contrib components.  When put to a vote on list, however, most were vetoed by 1 or 2 people.

> Are we now planning to leave inactive projects in place?

I guess so.  HDFS Proxy seems like an example of this.

>  Ship them as source?

I would support that as a fallback.

> Seems like this still sends a confusing message.  I'm all for removing them from trunk in SVN, leaving a wiki link to their most recent state and letting their contributors make a case to revive them in whatever place they choose.
>
> Keeping projects with small constituencies in our tree seems counter productive.

Agreed, but we couldn't reach consensus.

Cheers,
Nige