Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2011/11/01 00:24:06 UTC

Re: Hello again (from another one)

2011/10/31 Wolfram Garten <wo...@googlemail.com>:
> Hi Xia, (and all the others)
> since I am in the "silent reading mode" here on this and other other
> boards for some days now I'd like to use this chance to offer some help
> for the QA and introduce myself a little bit.
> My name ins Wolfram Garten, I used to work for the QA of
> OracleOpenOffice/OpenOffice here in Hamburg. You may know me as
> wg(@)openoffice.org. Draw and Impress were my areas of interest,
> including the manual and automated testing for these aplications.

Hi Wolfram -- welcome to the new incarnation of OpenOffice !

> As I read through the Apache page I found two pages dealing a little bit
> closer with the QA stuff:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Build-QA-Plan
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Site-QA-Plan
> Sadly a lot of stuff in the old OOo pages has gone off the wire, like
> all the knowledge that Quaste used to host.
> Nevertheless I would like to see the QA come to life again in the new
> Apache home. So, if there is something I can help with I will try.

As you have probably noticed, those pages do not have a lot of detail
yet.  If you have any insights on what should be done, please add to
the wiki.  (Anyone can create a login and edit the wiki).  Or start a
new thread.  We certainly need to organize the QA effort since we're
are close to having builds to test.

> And yes: I would prefer public builds, too. Since all that "building a
> version on my own" seems more like witchcraft to me ;-)
> It may not work every day but at least I'm trying to have a look in here
> every day.

Exactly.

Long-term we have a build bot that automatically builds. Testers can
then download a daily build and work with that.  But we don't have
that yet.  We need a volunteer to set that up.

Near-term we will need to rely on developers  to make builds available
for others to test.  But I don't know where we would put these builds.

-Rob