Posted to dev@ctakes.apache.org by Benjamin hansen <be...@gmail.com> on 2021/08/17 19:35:42 UTC

UIMA version 3 or later JCas required

Hello, I am trying to compile some of the examples from the ctakes example
directory using maven. Specifically I am trying to compile the example
called: HelloWorldAggregatePipeline

I am using ctakes v. 4.0.0.1 and uima fit v. 3.0.2 and i am getting the
following error when i run

mvn package

and then

mvn exec:java -Dexec.mainClass=com.myproj.app.HelloWorldAggregatePipeline

Caused by: org.apache.uima.cas.CASRuntimeException: The JCas cannot be
initialized.  The following errors occurred:

JCas Class "org.apache.uima.jcas.tcas.DocumentAnnotation", loaded from
"jar:file:/Users/myuser/.m2/repository/org/apache/uima/uimaj-document-annotation/2.9.0/uimaj-document-annotation-2.9.0.jar!/org/apache/uima/jcas/tcas/DocumentAnnotation.class",
is missing required constructor; likely cause is wrong version (UIMA
version 3 or later JCas required).

I don't understand why i am getting this error when i am using uima fit v.
3.0.2.

My pom.xml file is seen below

Can anyone help me fix this please?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0" xmlns:xsi="
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="
http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>

  <groupId>com.myproj.app</groupId>
  <artifactId>myproj</artifactId>
  <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>

  <name>myproj</name>
  <!-- FIXME change it to the project's website -->
  <url>http://www.example.com</url>

  <properties>
    <maven.compiler.source>1.7</maven.compiler.source>
    <maven.compiler.target>1.7</maven.compiler.target>
  </properties>

  <dependencies>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>junit</groupId>
      <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
      <version>4.11</version>
      <scope>test</scope>
    </dependency>
    <!-- https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.uima/uimaj-core -->
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.apache.uima</groupId>
      <artifactId>uimaj-core</artifactId>
      <version>3.2.0</version>
    </dependency>
    <!-- https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.uima/uimafit-core -->
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.apache.uima</groupId>
      <artifactId>uimafit-core</artifactId>
      <version>3.2.0</version>
    </dependency>
    <!-- https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.ctakes/ctakes-core
-->
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.apache.ctakes</groupId>
      <artifactId>ctakes-core</artifactId>
      <version>4.0.0.1</version>
    </dependency>
    <!--
https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.ctakes/ctakes-clinical-pipeline
-->
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.apache.ctakes</groupId>
      <artifactId>ctakes-clinical-pipeline</artifactId>
      <version>4.0.0.1</version>
    </dependency>

  </dependencies>

  <build>
    <pluginManagement>
      <!-- lock down plugins versions to avoid using Maven defaults (may be
moved to parent pom) -->
      <plugins>
        <!-- clean lifecycle, see
https://maven.apache.org/ref/current/maven-core/lifecycles.html#clean_Lifecycle
-->
        <plugin>
          <artifactId>maven-clean-plugin</artifactId>
          <version>3.1.0</version>
        </plugin>
        <!-- default lifecycle, jar packaging: see
https://maven.apache.org/ref/current/maven-core/default-bindings.html#Plugin_bindings_for_jar_packaging
-->
        <plugin>
          <artifactId>maven-resources-plugin</artifactId>
          <version>3.0.2</version>
        </plugin>
        <plugin>
          <version>3.8.0</version>
        </plugin>
        <plugin>
          <version>2.22.1</version>
        </plugin>
        <plugin>
          <version>3.0.2</version>
        </plugin>
        <plugin>
          <artifactId>maven-install-plugin</artifactId>
          <version>2.5.2</version>
        </plugin>
        <plugin>
          <artifactId>maven-deploy-plugin</artifactId>
          <version>2.8.2</version>
        </plugin>
        <!-- site lifecycle, see
https://maven.apache.org/ref/current/maven-core/lifecycles.html#site_Lifecycle
-->
        <plugin>
          <version>3.7.1</version>
        </plugin>
        <plugin>
          <artifactId>maven-project-info-reports-plugin</artifactId>
          <version>3.0.0</version>
        </plugin>
      </plugins>
    </pluginManagement>
  </build>
</project>

Re: End of the road for UIMAv2 - please upgrade to UIMAv3 [EXTERNAL]

Posted by "Finan, Sean" <Se...@childrens.harvard.edu.INVALID>.
Thank you Richard, this is great information.
Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Re: UIMA version 3 or later JCas required [EXTERNAL]

Posted by Benjamin hansen <be...@gmail.com>.
Ok, downgrading UIMA fixed this... its just a weird error message since it
says UIMA v. 3 or higher is required...
But this seems to work fine with UIMA v. 2x :)