Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Bastian Schnorbus <ba...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/27 14:44:48 UTC

Data loss after system_keyspace-table removal?

Hi experts!

Seems, that we have a data loss after a rolling update of our Cassandra
2.2.7 nodes.

The nodes failed to start with an exception:

IllegalStateException: empty rows returned when reading
system.schema_keyspaces à (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-12351)

*Workaround mentioned in the ticket:*-
*Stop node , *-
*remove sstables in data/system/schema_keyspaces/*-          *restart.*

*      After a restart expect load to be higher for a short period.*

In our case the deleted system_keyspace-table is rebuild but it doesn’t
contain the data-keyspaces anymore!!! The data still seem to be on disk...

Did someone also encounter this issue and solved it using the above
workaround?

Do we need to add the meta-information for the existing keyspaces manually
to that table? Do we need to wait (according to the warning in the
workaround) for the tables/keyspaces to recover itself?

What can we do to get the keyspaces and data back?

Many thanks in advance,

Bastian