Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Danny Angus <Da...@slc.co.uk> on 2005/09/15 10:13:47 UTC

jars in cvs/svn

I **really** don't think we should have derby jars in svn

We can document the required version(s) and zip/tar them into
distributions, but please not more jars in svn.

d.

The information in this e-mail is confidential and for use by the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient (or responsible for delivery of the message to the intended recipient) please notify us immediately on 0141 306 2050 and delete the message from your computer. You may not copy or forward it or use or disclose its contents to any other person. As Internet communications are capable of data corruption Student Loans Company Limited does not accept any  responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent. For this reason it may be inappropriate to rely on advice or opinions contained in an e-mail without obtaining written confirmation of it. Neither Student Loans Company Limited or the sender accepts any liability or responsibility for viruses as it is your responsibility to scan attachments (if any). Opinions and views expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender and may not reflect the opinions and views of The Student Loans Company Limit
 ed.

Re: jars in cvs/svn

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, I think we did this once before. It was actually what I had in
mind, I don't think Maven is right for James, but that doesn't make it
a Bad Thing, we use it very sucessfully at work. :-)

d.

Re: jars in cvs/svn

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Hi folks,

Re: jars in cvs/svn

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: jars in cvs/svn

Posted by Ahmed Mohombe <am...@yahoo.com>.
>>Wouldn't we need to switch to maven to get away with
>>something like this?
>

> We could use maven, if we wanted to.
Maybe this will convince you not to do it :) :
http://www.jroller.com/page/fate/?anchor=maven_refresher_course

Ahmed.

RE: jars in cvs/svn

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> > > In fact only build dependencies (jars needed to build the sources)
> > > should be in the repository.
> > Wouldn't we need to switch to maven to get away with
> > something like this?
> I don't know how the current releases are created.

I, as anyone who builds from SVN, have to manually acquire various binary
jar files and place them in the build structure, then it can build and
package.  We have to do that for the Sun jars.  We have thus far chosen to
keep copies of the particular dnsjava and other binary jars.

I'm not sure that we can count on outside projects to keep the version(s)
that we want to use available, but we can talk with the Derby folks about
keeping old jars available until we are ready to move forward.  Keep in mind
that dnsjava has changed interfaces from time to time, requiring source
changes on our end to upgrade to newer versions.

	--- Noel

Re: jars in cvs/svn

Posted by Mike Heath <mh...@avaloninc.com>.
On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 09:16 +0100, Danny Angus wrote:

> > Wouldn't we need to switch to maven to get away with
> > something like this?
>
> We could use maven, if we wanted to.
+1

I've moved a lot of my work projects and pet projects to Maven and can't
see myself ever going back to Ant.

One of my biggest frustrations with working on James has been updating
my Eclipse classpath to reflect the changing dependencies.  With Maven I
can just do "maven eclipse" and I'm done.  I think this kind of
simplicity could help attract more developers to James.  I know I'm more
likely to dig into an open-source project if they're using Maven because
I know it's going to be easy to get things up and running.

-Mike

Re: jars in cvs/svn

Posted by Danny Angus <Da...@slc.co.uk>.

> Wouldn't we need to switch to maven to get away with
> something like this?

We could use maven, if we wanted to.

> If we (Noel) create binary releases manually then it doesn't matter:
simply
> the release will need to manually download jars we intend to distribute
> (just like we currently do with mail and activation?).

Correct (again!).

Re: jars in cvs/svn

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
> > In fact only build dependencies (jars needed to build the sources)
> > should be in the repository.
>
> Wouldn't we need to switch to maven to get away with
> something like this?

I don't know how the current releases are created.
If we (Noel) create binary releases manually then it doesn't matter: simply
the release will need to manually download jars we intend to distribute
(just like we currently do with mail and activation?).

Stefano

Re: jars in cvs/svn

Posted by Serge Knystautas <sk...@gmail.com>.

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501

Re: jars in cvs/svn

Posted by Ahmed Mohombe <am...@yahoo.com>.
> Even then I'm -0 to having jars in the repository, we should have a
> download script (or something) which gets them from download sites.
Oh no, Maven - we are lost :).

Ahmed.

Re: jars in cvs/svn

Posted by Danny Angus <Da...@slc.co.uk>.
> Probably Danny just want to remove the jars from the sources repository
but
> still bundle them in the default binary distribution.

Correct.

> We could even do the same thing with the whole phoenix thing if we were
> using an official release of phoenix.

Also correct.

> In fact only build dependencies (jars needed to build the sources) should
be
> in the repository.

Even then I'm -0 to having jars in the repository, we should have a
download script (or something) which gets them from download sites.
Having them there is only a convenience for our laziness and has licence
implications.

Re: jars in cvs/svn

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Re: jars in cvs/svn

Posted by Ahmed Mohombe <am...@yahoo.com>.

Re: jars in cvs/svn

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
> I **really** don't think we should have derby jars in svn
>
> We can document the required version(s) and zip/tar them into
> distributions, but please not more jars in svn.

+1!
I simply don't know how to make it available in distributions without adding
it to svn.
I've seen that we was bundling the mm.mysql driver so I've done the same
thing for derby.
Feel free to remove it!

Stefano