Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2007/09/10 01:21:22 UTC

Path to 2.1-alpha-1

Hi,

For the first set of  alpha releases I think we should be focusing on
fixing many of the problems and specifically dealing with:

1) Any backward compatibility problems
2) Error reporting and general usability issues
3) Regressions
4) Failing ITs (There are 11 commented out and one failing)
5) Bugs [1]

We should be focused fixing these problems in the the first couple
alphas, as we don't want to make a bad impression with the first
releases, put early adopters through pain, and it would be
irresponsible to start jamming in new features without addressing
these issues first.

Anyone who wants to refactor and fix bugs I say go for it on the
trunk, new features should stay in branches until the proposals are
all collected this friday and we slot features in for specific
versions. If you want to fix any bugs then just slot assign it to a
version and go for it.

I think we should keep releasing alphas focusing on the issues above
and start thinking about new features once they are under control.
Otherwise this crap is just going to roll on and on. We need to
decide that we are going to address the problems before tackling the
fun new features. It's the only responsible way to continue I feel.

[1] http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?
reset=true&&fixfor=13142&type=1&pid=10500&resolution=-1&sorter/
field=priority&sorter/order=DESC

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder and PMC Chair, Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Re: Path to 2.1-alpha-1

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 10/09/2007, at 9:21 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For the first set of  alpha releases I think we should be focusing
> on fixing many of the problems and specifically dealing with:
>
> 1) Any backward compatibility problems
> 2) Error reporting and general usability issues
> 3) Regressions
> 4) Failing ITs (There are 11 commented out and one failing)
> 5) Bugs [1]

+1

> We should be focused fixing these problems in the the first couple
> alphas, as we don't want to make a bad impression with the first
> releases, put early adopters through pain, and it would be
> irresponsible to start jamming in new features without addressing
> these issues first.

Yep, though I'd say the first alpha only needs to take care of the
things that make it more painful than using 2.0.x (ie, 1 and 3 - I'd
say 4 but they all failed previously I think).

> Anyone who wants to refactor and fix bugs I say go for it on the
> trunk, new features should stay in branches until the proposals are
> all collected this friday and we slot features in for specific
> versions. If you want to fix any bugs then just slot assign it to a
> version and go for it.

I agree with John, refactoring should be treated like features. I
don't necessarily think in that case branches are a good idea (since
it's difficult to merge), but I'd prefer to see proposals for
anything further so people at least know the crossover with their own
feature work.

Otherwise, agreed.

> I think we should keep releasing alphas focusing on the issues
> above and start thinking about new features once they are under
> control. Otherwise this crap is just going to roll on and on. We
> need to decide that we are going to address the problems before
> tackling the fun new features. It's the only responsible way to
> continue I feel.
>
> [1] http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?
> reset=true&&fixfor=13142&type=1&pid=10500&resolution=-1&sorter/
> field=priority&sorter/order=DESC

Are all the known problems you refer to in that list?

Thanks,
Brett

--
Brett Porter - brett@apache.org

Re: Path to 2.1-alpha-1

Posted by Vincent Massol <vi...@massol.net>.
I'd be very happy to help you test what's in 2.1 trunk on the XWiki
build. We're currently stuck with an old 2.1-SNAPSHOT, using an older
version fails and a newer snapshots fails too ;)

Actually last time I tried (about 1 to 2 weeks ago) it was failing
immediately since parent dependencies were not looked up in the
defined remote repos (only in central). But I know there are lots of
other issues that we've encountered using 2.1-SNAPSHOT so I'm happy
working them with you if someone is interested.

Thanks
-Vincent