Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Stefan Wachter <St...@gmx.de> on 2006/07/03 15:48:36 UTC

Using APR in a Catalina-Home/Base Installation

Hi all,

after a while I had figured out how to use APR with Tomcat (cf.
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.tomcat.user/133360/focus=133360)
on a 64-Bit environment with a 32-bit JVM. Now the next issue popped up:

If Tomcat is started from the CATALINA_HOME/bin directory by startup.sh
then the log file CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.out clearly informs if APR
is not used: "The Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal
performance in production environments was not found on the
java.library.path: ...".

Yet, in an installation with a CATALINA_HOME directory and several
CATALINA_BASE directories that message does not appear when Tomcat is
started with different CATALINA_BASE settings. In other word, if the
CATALINA_BASE environment variable is set to another directory than
CATALINA_HOME and the CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh is executed then the
log file CATALINA_BASE/logs/catalina.out does not contain that message.
(The log file CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.out is not written any more.)

1. Why is this message no longer reported?
2. Is there a possibility to check if the APR is used or not?

Cheers,
--Stefan

Re: Using APR in a Catalina-Home/Base Installation

Posted by Stefan Wachter <St...@gmx.de>.
Hi Markus,

ok, I see. Checking the log file is see that APR is used in the
home/base-installation!

The only irritating thing is that if APR is disabled (e.g. by not
supplying the necessary libraries) there is no "INFO" message about this
situation in a  home/base-installation.

Cheers,
--Stefan

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.