Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Hans Schmid <Ha...@einsurance.de> on 2001/08/14 18:13:59 UTC

TC 3.3 ROOT context and PHP at the same time

Hello,

is it possible to have a root context webapp (no JSP's - so no filename
ending mapping possible)
and PHP working at the same time?

Let me explain our situation:

We have an old web application running under Jserv and Apache. (it does not
know about webapps)
(Apache 1.3.19, mod_jserv, Jserv 1.1.2)
This Application makes also use of PHP modules (PHP 4.0.5)

Now we are developing new modules (basically replacing old parts of our
application)
with a Velocity based approach.

Therefore we have to migrate to a Servlet 2.2 Container -> Tomcat 3.3.
(Apache 1.3.19, mod_jk, Tomcat 3.3b1)
+ PHP 4.0.5 or so

- Old application works fine in root context but no PHP
- Links form the old world to the new modules do work corectly

Now my problem:
I have to mount the old parts of the application to the ROOT context in
order to make
it work (runs perfectly without the PHP bit)

 JkMount /* ajp13

But: Apache then does not serve PHP anymore (they get routed to Tomcat)

Our application does not use JSP's only servlets - so I can not use a
pattern like
JkMount /*.jsp ajp13

I have mounted the root context to my Apache htdocs directory and have a
link in there
to the WEB-INF dir with all the required stuff.

Am I completly off the track here?

I found the following in the Mail-Archive that
explains my problem - but I could not find answers to this one

>http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg09120.html
>
>Jeah, I understand, perhaps I should write under a different topic, but
they
>are closely related and I thougt that perhaps someone know how to resolve
my
>small problem.
>I think that mod_jk should include a decline posibility like:
> JkMount /* ajp13
> JkMount /phpMyAdmin/* DECLINE
> JkMount /images/* DECLINE
> JkMount /*.php4 DECLINE
>
>with a best match served first.
>I have a rought patch that does this, but it's realy uggly..
>This way it would be very simple to handle Apache/Php/Tomcat in one server

Has anybody something like this?

Your comment would be highly appreciated,

Hans Schmid

einsurance Agency AG
Information Technology
Bayerstraße 33