Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Daniel Cabrera Solana <dc...@ts.es> on 2001/10/23 13:58:51 UTC

Help please...

Hi all:

    I am new with tomcat server. I have tomcat 4.0 version and  Windows NT.
I have installed the server and it works with the default settings. But I
have many questions (I was reading the server docs... I don't understand the
greater part of the things):

    - How can I change the server default name (localhost) and server
default port (8080)?
    - How can I change the server default root (/Apache Tomcat
4.0/webapps/Root/)?
    - Where do I must to put my servlets for running?. I suppose that I must
to write where is the servlet's code in a configuration file (like in JDSK
server).
    - How can I implement tomcat like an Apache module?

I know, many questions but if you can help me in whatever it would be really
helpful because the server docs are like chinese for me....

Thanks a million, Daniel

Best regards, Daniel

Re: Help please...

Posted by Lester June Cabrera <le...@vinciworks.com>.
Hi Daniel,

You should be able to change the port setting in the /conf/server.xml file.
         <!-- Normal HTTP -->
         <Connector className="org.apache.tomcat.service.PoolTcpConnector">
             <Parameter name="handler"
                 value="org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler"/>
             <Parameter name="port"
                 value="8080"/>
         </Connector>

The server root setting is also in server.xml file.

As for the placement of servlets, you can use the build utility of Tomcat
so that it will compile and copy the servlets into its destintaion
directory. See the sample directory. Settings are configured in your
build.xml file. For example, you can set the following line in build.xml
         <property name="app.name"       value="daniel"/>
so all your servlets will then be saved in /webapps/daniel/web-inf/classes

And there is a document that explains integrating Tomcat with Apache.

Lester