Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com> on 2013/04/16 16:51:31 UTC

text of release announcement for 10.10.1.1

Here's what I have so far. Please help me improve this. I plan to
announce the release in the next day or two.

Thanks,
-Rick

--------------------------------

Derby 10.10.1.1 contains the following new features:

     * SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_INVALIDATE_STORED_STATEMENTS - Derby has a new
system procedure for invalidating stored prepared statements when you
think that your metadata queries or triggers are misbehaving--for
example if they throw a NoSuchMethodError on execution. See the section
on this new system procedure in the Derby Reference Manual.
     * Unencrypting databases - Encryption can be turned off on existing
databases. See the section on the decryptDatabase attribute in the Derby
Reference Manual.
     * Small device profile - Derby runs on the small CP2 profile of Java 8.
     * JDBC 4.2 - Derby supports the Java 8 enhancements to JDBC.
     * User-defined aggregates - Applications can create their own
aggregate operators. See the "CREATE DERBY AGGREGATE" section in the
Derby Reference Manual.
     * Varargs routines - SQL routines can be bound to user-written Java
methods which have variable length argument lists.
     * Optional tools - Derby has new, optional tools to support data
migration and metadata queries. See the "Optional tools" section in the
Derby Tools and Utilities Guide.

In addition, Derby 10.10.1.1 contains many bug, security, and
documentation fixes.

Please try out this new release.

Re: text of release announcement for 10.10.1.1

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.
On 4/17/13 10:18 AM, Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> Looks good to me.
> Are there any concerns regarding the use of JDBC 4.2 at this time that
> should be stated?
Hi Myrna,

I don't think so. When Java 8 goes GA and people install it, they will
want to study the Java 8 release notes for information about what's in
JDBC 4.2. As far as I know, the Derby implementation is faithful to the
JDBC 4.2 spec, so there are no discrepancies to document.

Thanks,
-Rick

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.
Looks good to me.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.
Thanks for that feedback, Dag and Knut. Here is a new version which
incorporates your suggestions:

------------------------------

Posted by Dag Wanvik <da...@oracle.com>.
On 17.04.2013 00:51, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Here's what I have so far. Please help me improve this. I plan to
> announce the release in the next day or two.
>
> Thanks,
> -Rick
>
> --------------------------------
>
> Derby 10.10.1.1 contains the following new features:
>
>     * SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_INVALIDATE_STORED_STATEMENTS - Derby has a new
> system procedure for invalidating stored prepared statements when you
> think that your metadata queries or triggers are misbehaving--for
> example if they throw a NoSuchMethodError on execution. See the
> section on this new system procedure in the Derby Reference Manual.
>     * Unencrypting databases - Encryption can be turned off on
> existing databases. See the section on the decryptDatabase attribute
> in the Derby Reference Manual.
>     * Small device profile - Derby runs on the small CP2 profile of
> Java 8.

You may want to include a link here, or at least mention JEP 161:

JEP 161 Compact Profile 2 [http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/161]

Thanks,
Dag

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <kn...@oracle.com>.
Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com> writes:

> Here's what I have so far. Please help me improve this. I plan to
> announce the release in the next day or two.
>
> Thanks,
> -Rick
>
> --------------------------------
>
> Derby 10.10.1.1 contains the following new features:
>
>     * SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_INVALIDATE_STORED_STATEMENTS - Derby has a new
> system procedure for invalidating stored prepared statements when you
> think that your metadata queries or triggers are misbehaving--for
> example if they throw a NoSuchMethodError on execution. See the
> section on this new system procedure in the Derby Reference Manual.
>     * Unencrypting databases - Encryption can be turned off on
> existing databases. See the section on the decryptDatabase attribute
> in the Derby Reference Manual.
>     * Small device profile - Derby runs on the small CP2 profile of Java 8.
>     * JDBC 4.2 - Derby supports the Java 8 enhancements to JDBC.
>     * User-defined aggregates - Applications can create their own
> aggregate operators. See the "CREATE DERBY AGGREGATE" section in the
> Derby Reference Manual.
>     * Varargs routines - SQL routines can be bound to user-written
> Java methods which have variable length argument lists.
>     * Optional tools - Derby has new, optional tools to support data
> migration and metadata queries. See the "Optional tools" section in
> the Derby Tools and Utilities Guide.
>
> In addition, Derby 10.10.1.1 contains many bug, security, and
> documentation fixes.
>
> Please try out this new release.

Looks good to me.

In one of the comments on DERBY-6075 it was suggested that we added a
note about the apparent compilation speed improvements. Something along
these lines, perhaps:

   * Faster query compilation - A number of small changes have made the
     SQL compiler leaner and faster.

Maybe we could reorder the list to make it more focused. For example:

- Move JDBC 4.2 to the top of the list, since the JDBC interface is our
  primary interface, and a new version is a big thing

- Have small device profile next, as support for a new platform is also
  significant news

- Mention the new SQL features before unencrypting databases (to focus
  on new functionality before the ability to turn off existing
  functionality) and before the new procedure (to focus on functionality
  most applications could benefit from before functionality that is only
  needed in scenarios we hope won't happen; bugs that corrupt the system
  tables)

--
Knut Anders