Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Sam Hamilton <sa...@sh81.com> on 2010/03/15 05:27:09 UTC

Installing a Theme / Missing Seed Data

Hi List,

I have a test server that runs against a mysql database for which I have
been getting updates from SVN for the last 6 months.
Well recently the new theme Tomahawk was release and I SVN up but still
the theme didn't show up, so I googled and found out that you needed to
./ ant run-install-seed to make the new theme work - which it did and
now my test server is running the great new theme.

Can someone tell me why that process is not handled by the normal boot
up process which would create missing entities in the database?

thanks
Sam

Re: Installing a Theme / Missing Seed Data

Posted by Sam Hamilton <sa...@sh81.com>.
Thanks David - that helps alot

Cheers
Sam

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
The idea with "seed" data is that it is maintained along with the code. Because of that it generally shouldn't be edited directly in the database, and always maintained in files. That also means that whenever you update code on an instance with an existing database you should also update the seed data (if no seed data changes have been made this won't hurt anything, if seed data changes have been made it'll help a lot).

-David

Posted by Sam Hamilton <sa...@sh81.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com>.