Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@oracle.com> on 2017/01/03 10:57:35 UTC

Re: Status of Apache NetBeans code donation

Hello NetBeans fans!
Here is a few more details on top of Geertjan's  report:

On pátek 23. prosince 2016 15:27:37 CET Geertjan Wielenga wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We've identified the following repos as being the repos we want to donate
> to Apache:
>
> community-ruby (2376 files)
> community-soa (11770 files files)
> community-uml (6365 files)
> community-visualweb (6339 files)
> community-xml (2326 files)
> html4j (280 files)
> jackpot30 (964 files)
> (main)contrib
> (main)misc (5076 files)
> plsql-support (2341 files)
> releases (100548 files)
> releases-l10n (33348 files)

If you look at repositories listed at http://hg.netbeans.org you may find
"donation_review" branches in some of them.

> However, we can't contribute something we haven't reviewed. We can only
> give to Apache what is ours to give. We can't make licensing decisions for
> someone else's code. E.g., we can't donate Oracle logos, for example. And
> there are several other logos too. We can't donate all kinds of things if
> they're not actually ours to donate.

The idea is to cleanup the code and put the fixes into the donation_review
branch that should then contain files officially donate-able by Oracle to Apache
(insert all the legal warnings describing everything that can go wrong here).

> Starting from the smallest repo, i.e., 'html4j', the repos are being
> reviewed. That particular repo took less than a day to review, yes, someone
> is going through the repo paintakingly looking at files for licensing
> concerns and anything else that could be odd for whatever reason. And then
> the concerns discovered need to be discussed and handled.

Good news is that in case of html4j repository I received the review comments
and addressed them as well as I could. Today I've merged the fixes into the
donation_review branch: https://hg.netbeans.org/html4j/rev/929563230c07

I have good feelings about the review process. The review identified things
that really cannot be donated (knockout.js or safari_logo.png files being two
examples). I have managed to address these issues and still keep the code
buildable and functional.

> Yes, this is taking time -- still, once done we'll know for sure that
> things are good and ready.

The html4j repository is just a single step, but it seems to indicate that we
are moving in the right direction.

-jt

Re: Cannot donate MIT code was: Status of Apache NetBeans code donation

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
That's a great point. Just because Oracle can't donate, for example,
Knockout.js, does not mean that we cannot use, for example, Knockout.js,
once we're in Apache.

I think we should take this route in the work we're doing at the moment in
Oracle to prepare the donation:

When we encounter something we can't donate, e.g., images or Knockout.js or
whatever, in one of the repos we're planning to donate:

Plan A: Remove it, if possible.

Plan B: If not possible to remove, put a placeholder file in the place
where the file should be, e.g., Knockout.js, as a marker, so that when we
have donated the repo, we can easily find that location again. The
advantage of this approach is that we'll still be able to do a clean
donation, i.e., without exclusions. Disadvantage is, of course, that the
repo will not be buildable. Not a big problem, since we'll know why.

Plan C: If Plan B is not desirable for some reason in some specific case,
explicitly exclude the problematic file, i.e., in the code donation
document, state "we donate everything in the repos at location XYZ, except
for file A, B, and C".

Of course, this info is not relevant for Apache, just for those in Oracle
working on preparing the code donation. However, it's good, I think, for
those interested in progress to see the kinds of thinking being done and
processes being followed.

Gj

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
On  Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 5:20 PM, Emilian Bold wrote:

Looking forward to the code grant. Perhaps we should throw a party or
> something!

Definitely. :-)

Gj

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.