Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rajiv M <rm...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/27 13:40:18 UTC

HTTP compression

hello,

Does Tomcat support HTTP compression.
If yes, is there a way to enable/disable this feature

Rajiv

RE: HTTP compression

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Pid [mailto:pid@pidster.com]
> Subject: Re: HTTP compression
>
> > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><soap:Envelope
> > xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"
> > xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"><soap:Body>
> > <processEncrypted xmlns="http://www.vantagebanking.com">
> > <arg0 xmlns="">ADwAUgBFAFEAVQBFAFMAVAA+ADwARwBFAE4ARQBSAEEATAAgAEwAbwBjAGEAbA

I suspect the payload is /encrypted/, not compressed (hence the "processEncrypted" element).  Fiddling (no pun intended) with the compression won't change that.

> I'm not familiar with Fiddler, what does the above represent?

Fiddler2 is a very cool proxy that will display lots of interesting things about HTTP traffic:
http://www.fiddler2.com/fiddler2/

Easier to use than Wireshark for typical HTTP messaging investigation.  Unfortunately, it appears to be Windows-only, so it won't be terribly useful on Pid's Mac...

 - Chuck

Re: HTTP compression

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 27/06/2010 10:02, johanvermeij wrote:

> I need to generate thousands of test cases for a benchmark and I am trying to
> turn compression off
> (I want to edit one message and change the user ID, branch and account
> number to generate many files which I intend to use with JMeter
> Doing this manually with compressed messages will take ages)
>
> I have an application which runs under JBoss 420
>
> I changed the server.xml connector by adding compression="off"
>
> When I look at my fiddler intercepts I still see a compressed message:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><soap:Envelope
> xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"
> xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"><soap:Body><processEncrypted
> xmlns="http://www.vantagebanking.com"><arg0
> xmlns="">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</arg0></processEncrypted></soap:Body></soap:Envelope>

I'm not familiar with Fiddler, what does the above represent?

> Can anyone point me in the right direction ?
>
> I am not worried about network speed because the benchmark used a Gbit
> network
>
> Thanks
>
> Johan

Did you find an old email and reply to it?  Please just start a new
message next time.

Re: HTTP compression

Posted by johanvermeij <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: HTTP compression

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Are you measuring throughput ???

Martin

Posted by Rashmi Rubdi <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: HTTP compression

Posted by Rajiv M <rm...@gmail.com>.
Thank you!

On 4/27/07, Praveen Balaji <pb...@tibco.com> wrote:
> See if the compression property is what you need:
>
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/http.html

~~~Truth is out there.~~~

RE: HTTP compression

Posted by Praveen Balaji <pb...@tibco.com>.