Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by William Tam <em...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/22 21:43:18 UTC

enabling MTOM

Are there any downsides (performance, etc) if I always enable MTOM
even if I don't use MTOM feature?

TIA

- William

Re: enabling MTOM

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Thu October 22 2009 3:43:18 pm William Tam wrote:
> Are there any downsides (performance, etc) if I always enable MTOM
> even if I don't use MTOM feature?

Yes.    If mtom is on, we always setup the mime envelopes and such.   Thus,
the messages on the wire a bit bigger (extra set of mime headers, boundaries,
etc...).

Also, on the receiving side, reading is a little bit more expensive as we need
to examine each byte read to make sure a boundary isn't hit.   Not super
expensive, but probably measurable.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org