Posted to odf-dev@incubator.apache.org by Svante Schubert <sv...@gmail.com> on 2018/12/27 23:44:51 UTC

The King is dead... long live the king!

Dear developers,

while we have not finished the transition from "Apache Foundation" to "The
Document Foundation", I still want to give you an update during the holiday
season.

Thorsten was so kind to initiate our new repository at
https://github.com/tdf/odftoolkit
I have just pushed the first set of preliminary configuration changes.

Our current plan is to release soon a 0.9.0 which is pretty much the source
being given from Apache.
With our I mean: Thorsten Behrens, Michael Stahl, Oliver Rau and myself.
Please evaluate the current branch and point out any problems with your
dependent tooling.
We will likely update dependencies, like Jena to 3.9.0 and Xerces to 2.12
for the upcoming release.

When we changed the group ID to "org.odftoolkit", we took the opportunity
to synchronize the version number of all modules to 0.9.0
(Note: earlier every module had its own version but this caused confusion
and no module was ever released alone).

Right after the release, we plan to make a huge jump on the collaboration
feature branch that will become the starting base for our 1.0.0-SNAPSHOT:
You will find some brief documentation on
https://github.com/svanteschubert/odftoolkit/tree/odf-changes
In the past weeks, I have merged the above branch with our current and did
some refactorings, but was not able to finish my work before the holiday
season to create a solid 1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.
Oliver Rau already joined Michael and me on the TDF developer branch and is
attracted by this new collaboration features. In addition, he is tempted to
switch the build system from Maven to Gradle as he found the system more
flexible from his experience in the past years.

I will keep you updated as soon we have more to tell or otherwise contact
me if you are interested to join and/or take a glimpse at the current
state-of-work.

I wish you all a nice end of the year!
Svante

ᐧ

Re: The King is dead... long live the king!

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
Svante, et al, hi,
Thanks for this update.
And allow me to express my delight good wishes that the ODF effort has been merged with the TDF's.
Cheers, and happy new year,
Louis

Posted by Andrew Willerding <aw...@itsurcom.com>.
I'm very pleased to hear this.  I'm a very recent user of ODFToolkit and
was initially disappointed about the news it was leaving Apache
incubator but I am very happy to see that it is taking on a new life.

Is there, or will there be a new forum that we can subscribe to in order
to continue getting updates and ask questions?

Andrew

--
Andrew Willerding
awillerding@itsurcom.com