Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Kris Popat <kr...@apache.org> on 2015/07/08 14:14:52 UTC

[Discuss] ORDS to join Apache Incubator

Hello all,

I’m writing to the incubator list because we have a project, which we are very keen to be incubated in Apache if possible.  It is system created by IT Services at Oxford University called ORDS which stands for Open Research Database System

At the moment I’m structuring a proposal but need to find a champion and mentors for the project.

Does anyone have ideas of people who might do this, or be willing themselves?

This is from the first section of the proposal I’m writing.

ORDS pipelines data from recognized sources such as csv files, spreadsheets, and relational database files into structured online databases to provide “Database as a service” (DBaaS) functionality. It has a full set of tools for managing and editing these databases including giving users to ability to create versioned snapshots of data and share specific datasets. New databases can also be created using these tools.  Databases are housed in projects and associated with users with given roles. The data can be exported in common formats.

A live version of the system is in use by researchers in Oxford.  You can see the front end and documentation here http://ords.ox.ac.uk/.

Thanks

Kris Popat

Developer | Consultant Researcher

Re: [Discuss] ORDS to join Apache Incubator

Posted by Kris Popat <kj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ted,

You are right ORDS uses a database.  At the moment it uses postgreSQL.
It also uses hibernate for ORM at the moment which we would look to changing to OpenJPA probably.
So it isn’t as strictly tied to a particular database.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kris Popat <kr...@apache.org>.
Hi

> On 8 Jul 2015, at 13:29, jan i <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> A few questions, just for my understanding (and before I commit to anything):
> - Are you a group of people developing this system, preferable also someone from outside Oxford ?

Yes, currently there are five people involved 3 within Oxford and 2 outside, myself being one of those outside.

> - Is the system in use in other places?

This is what the Oxford team want to develop and one of the reasons why they are driving this.  At the moment this is an Oxford project but increasingly there is interest, from other UK universities at least, to use it.  The project manager has been promoting it.  Part of the work we are doing at the moment is preparing the code base and interfaces for general use.

> - Which programming languages do you use ?

It’s written in Java using Maven for builds.

> In any case I will be happy to take a look at the proposal and give my comments. Maybe more if I can see I can benefit the project.

Okay, I’ll post what I have so far to this list in another mail on this thread, if that’s okay?

Cheers

Kris

Re: [Discuss] ORDS to join Apache Incubator

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi

A few questions, just for my understanding (and before I commit to
anything):
- Are you a group of people developing this system, preferable also someone
from outside Oxford ?
- Is the system in use in other places?
- Which programming languages do you use ?

In any case I will be happy to take a look at the proposal and give my
comments. Maybe more if I can see I can benefit the project.

rgds
jan i.