Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Eastwood <me...@synergyccs.com.au> on 2004/05/03 06:10:35 UTC

CGI not executing

Hi,

I'm having trouble executing a Perl CGI under Tomcat 5.0.19 standalone.

I've set up the global web.xml as per instructions in the CGI how-to,
and renamed the appropriate jar file.  I've put my perl CGI scripts
into the default /WEB-INF/cgi directory, and made sure they're
executable.  I can run the scripts in that directory with ./<script>

When I go to /cgi-bin/<script>, however, my browser starts a download
that blocks indefinitely.  My CPU goes up by around 10%, so something
is happening, but no perl process appears in my process list and
nothing ever arrives at the browser.

Any ideas?

Re: CGI not executing

Posted by Michael Eastwood <me...@synergyccs.com.au>.
never mind, I solved my own problem.  I took the servlet config out of
the global web.xml and stuck it into my ROOT web.xml and now it works.
I noted that Tomcat was producing a cgi-bin mapping for all of my
webapps, not just the root one as I'd intended.  Now that I recall that
the global web.xml is defined for all webapps, it's clear, but it's
placement there is, I think, a little weird, considering the behaviour
produced is not of the conventional form (ie all cgi scripts under
/cgi-bin instead of <webapp1>/cgi-bin, <webapp2>/cgi-bin, etc).