Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by ML mail <ml...@yahoo.com> on 2014/06/26 16:31:13 UTC

AWL in SQL with amavisd-new

Hi,

I am using the auto-whitelist feature of SpamAssassin stored into a PostgreSQL database. It works fine but I have got one issue: as I am calling SA from amavisd-new, the username stored in the AWL SQL table is always "amavis". Now this renders my AWL useless as the username should actually be the "From:" header field of an email.

So my question here really is: how do I get to log the "From:" as uername and not the "amavis" username in my AWL table?

Regards
ML

Re: AWL in SQL with amavisd-new

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.
Kevin A. McGrail skrev den 2014-06-26 16:34:

> But the reason I'm posting is that many servers run sitewide AWL
> without issue. Why do you feel it is useless?

multi recipient is handled better in amavisd-new, but its not very well
dokumented, if you always just get single recipient spams its not an
issue with speed

Mark did a well job of scanning once, and score pr recipent, with
settings in sa_user sql prefs, nearly as good spamd/spamc does, or might
even be better, dont know yet :(

but i will love to get back to amavisd-new with amavisd-milter now

currently using spampd here without any issue

but to the awl being global or pr recipient is another story that imho
not make sense, but bayes username does if not whising to use global
bayes

more qeustions later for txrep

Re: AWL in SQL with amavisd-new

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 07:42:50 -0700
ML mail wrote:

> Ok so if I understand you correctly you are saying that it is
> possible to use AWL as site-wide having just one part of the e-mail
> exchange (the "To:" field) and this works fine/reliabily?

To: isn't relevant, you either have site-wide or per user AWL. There's
not much point to the latter unless you also have per user BAYES as
well.

SA gets the sender from the headers.

Re: AWL in SQL with amavisd-new

Posted by ML mail <ml...@yahoo.com>.
I got it all wrong: I was assuming that AWL works by using a tuple consisting of to/from (in the database: username/mail). Now thanks to your explanation I got it that the username is in fact only used for user-bound AWL. This means that I can simply use site-wide AWL.

TxRep sounds quite promising btw!

On Thursday, June 26, 2014 6:26 PM, Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu> wrote:

ML mail skrev den 2014-06-26 16:42:
> Ok so if I understand you correctly you are saying that it is possible
> to use AWL as site-wide having just one part of the e-mail exchange
> (the "To:" field) and this works fine/reliabily?

incorrect question, incorrect answer :=)

the username in awl is the unix running user, not email addresses,
therefor amavisd is single user pr default, if you like to chain it to
be fully virtual you must ask more qestions here on how spamd/spamc
works first

the awl user must be mapped to email before it can be used as virtual

user

i am lost aswell....

Re: AWL in SQL with amavisd-new

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.

Posted by ML mail <ml...@yahoo.com>.

On Thursday, June 26, 2014 4:34 PM, Kevin A. McGrail <KM...@PCCC.com> wrote:

On 6/26/2014 10:31 AM, ML mail wrote:

I am using the auto-whitelist feature of SpamAssassin stored into a PostgreSQL database. It works fine but I have got one issue: as I am calling SA from amavisd-new, the username stored in the AWL SQL table is always "amavis". Now this renders my AWL useless as the username should actually be the "From:" header field of an email.

>So my question here really is: how do I get to log the "From:" as uername and not the "amavis" username in my AWL table?

This is known as site-wide AWL because by default, you are using the username that invokes the call to SA.

What I do is I use MIMEDefang and call spamc from MIMEDefang passing
    the username based on code that I run to determine.  Not exactly
    easy...

But the reason I'm posting is that many servers run sitewide AWL
    without issue. Why do you feel it is useless?

Also, we're testing TxRep as a replacement to AWL in trunk if you
    want to look at that.

Regards,
KAM

Re: AWL in SQL with amavisd-new