Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by David Vos <dv...@calvin.edu> on 2002/06/10 22:11:42 UTC

"Please Wait" Message

We are running a website that provides classic literature in several
different formats (by chapter, pdf, postscript, etc), and we are moving
over to cocoon for better flexibility.  The server handles several hundred
thousand hits a day, so performance is an issue.

As it is, it can take cocoon awhile to process large requests (eg. pdf
format of a several megabyte book).  It would be nice to send the user
some kind of "Please Wait" message, and then send them the file when it is
ready.

One idea that would work for html files would be to send the user an html
file that refreshes itself every 3 seconds.  If the requesed file does not
exist, send the message.  There is one major problem with this that I
see:  If multiple people request the same un-cached file, does Cocoon
spawn multiple processes to build the same file?  If so, then the
wait-3-seconds-and-refresh idea could add a pretty nasty load.

Any other ideas?  Or is this just a dumb idea to begin with?  : )

(I have no idea how to do this with non-html files).

David

RE: reference to Session is ambiguous. 2.0.3-DEV

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Montier Patrick [mailto:patrick.montier@easance.com]
>
> hi,
>
> I found in previous emails (18 April 2002) ; the same error than i get
with
> my sendmail so i'm not alone :
>
> long Path to javax.mail.Session on account of ambiguous to
> org.apache.cocoon.environment.Session
>
> Vadim advised to change the sendmail logicsheet in order to avoid the
> session object, i try without any result even if i use the folder
object.

> IS there any cocoon patch to resolve the problem of the "Session
session =
> request.getSession(true);" ?

Have you tried latest version?

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-cocoon2/src/java/org/apache/cocoon
/components/language/markup/xsp/java/sendmail.xsl?rev=1.4.2.1&only_with_
tag=cocoon_2_0_3_branch&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Vadim

Re: "Please Wait" Message

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Stephen Ng wrote:
> Another (microsoft-only) possibility would be to use an XMLHTTP object to
> grab status dynamically and display progress.

AFAIK Mozilla should have it too (not that I recommend using it ;-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

RE: "Please Wait" Message

Posted by Stephen Ng <st...@verizon.net>.

Re: "Please Wait" Message

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.

RE: "Please Wait" Message

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: David Vos [mailto:dvos12@calvin.edu]
>
> We are running a website that provides classic literature in several
> different formats (by chapter, pdf, postscript, etc), and we are
moving
> over to cocoon for better flexibility.  The server handles several
hundred
> thousand hits a day, so performance is an issue.
>
> As it is, it can take cocoon awhile to process large requests (eg. pdf
> format of a several megabyte book).  It would be nice to send the user
> some kind of "Please Wait" message, and then send them the file when
it is
> ready.
>
> One idea that would work for html files would be to send the user an
html
> file that refreshes itself every 3 seconds.  If the requesed file does
not
> exist, send the message.  There is one major problem with this that I
> see:  If multiple people request the same un-cached file, does Cocoon
> spawn multiple processes to build the same file?  If so, then the

Yes. You will have to build your own synchronization mechanism to avoid
this.

Vadim