Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2006/11/01 20:06:53 UTC

Re: Admin page went down

: So as you suspected, I sent two search queries to the slave, and it
: responded with the correct XML results in my browser. However, it's admin
: page is still down. The log entries appeared correctly on the screen for the
: two queries I posted:

...but there were no other interesting log messages on your slave box? ..
even if you try to reload the admin page now?

If no errors are getting logged at all, i'm at a loss to guess what's
going wrong.

-Hoss

Re: Admin page went down

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: > FYI: I've had the "java -jar start.jar" Jetty instance running on my box
: > for over 48 hours now ... no problem loading the Admin page.
: >
: > I'll check it again on monday.

still no problems.  must be a ghost in the machine.

-Hoss

Re: Admin page went down

Posted by Yu-Hui Jin <yu...@gmail.com>.
cool, I actually hope it's just my boxes.

let me know.

-Hui

On 11/3/06, Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> wrote:

> : I hope someone could give it a try to reproduce what I have seen. so
> that we
> : can proove it's not a problem for all.
>
> FYI: I've had the "java -jar start.jar" Jetty instance running on my box
> for over 48 hours now ... no problem loading the Admin page.
>
> I'll check it again on monday.
>

> -Hoss

-Hui

Re: Admin page went down

Re: Admin page went down

Posted by Yu-Hui Jin <yu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Hoss.

I actually know Jetty is quite a solid container. However, the admin page
problem is simply wired.

I hope someone could give it a try to reproduce what I have seen. so that we
can proove it's not a problem for all.

regards,
-Hui

On 11/1/06, Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> wrote:

> : Have any of you tried keeping jetty running with the example solr on
> your
> : box for a few days?   If not, maybe you can try it.
>
> I've left the "java -jar start.jar" Solr example running for several days
> before ... i can't honestly remember if i've ever checked that the admin
> JSP pages still work though.
>
> : There makes me worries about using jetty as the server, I'll try tomcat
> and
>
> First off, don't assume that just because you had problems with the very
> simplistic Jetty setup that comes in the exampl directory that means Jetty
> has osmething inheriently wrong with it... that's just designed to
> showcase what Solr can do without requiring people to jump through hoops
> to setup a Servlet Container ... if you install Jetty from scratch you may
> find it does a better job of logging errors, and it's reliability may be
> higher.
>
> There's also "JettyPlus" which you may want to look into, but Tomcat may
> be a better way to go in the long run.
>
> : see whether it has no such problem.   BTW, what's the servlet containers
> the
> : big clients are using in production?
>
> We use the comercial version of Resin, but that decision was not made
> within my scope of knowledge/influence so i can't say that there is a
> motivating technical reason why you should/shouldn't consider it compared
> to tomcat, or jetty, or any other servlet container available.
>

> -Hoss

-Hui

Re: Admin page went down

Re: Admin page went down

Posted by Yu-Hui Jin <yu...@gmail.com>.
No, there's no logs printed out at all. I have just tried it again. Posting
queries through the URL still works.

Have any of you tried keeping jetty running with the example solr on your
box for a few days?   If not, maybe you can try it.

This is really wired to me. Because it happens to two of my boxes; when I
bounced jetty, everything goes back to normal; the admin page works. It
might be the jetty version doesn't work well with my box/my settings. But
there's no logs or any clues at all.

There makes me worries about using jetty as the server, I'll try tomcat and
see whether it has no such problem.   BTW, what's the servlet containers the
big clients are using in production?

thanks,

-Hui

On 11/1/06, Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> wrote:

> : So as you suspected, I sent two search queries to the slave, and it
> : responded with the correct XML results in my browser. However, it's
> admin
> : page is still down. The log entries appeared correctly on the screen for
> the
> : two queries I posted:
>
> ...but there were no other interesting log messages on your slave box? ..
> even if you try to reload the admin page now?
>
> If no errors are getting logged at all, i'm at a loss to guess what's
> going wrong.
>

> -Hoss

-Hui