Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Laurent Rouvet <la...@rouvet.com> on 2006/02/01 00:00:29 UTC

helloName and virtualSmtpServer

Hi all,

Is it possible to create more that one smtp server bind on different ip
(on the same James instance)?

And my second question:
What should we use as helloname?
<helloName autodetect="false">myMailServer</helloName>
Must it be a correct domain name?

Thanks,

Laurent Rouvet

Re: helloName and virtualSmtpServer

Posted by Laurent Rouvet <la...@rouvet.com>.
Thank you for your help.

I'll try it... in my cases I need some kind of virtual-smtp server. I'll
have few servers binded on different address.
I'll let you know.

Thanks again.

Posted by Mark Waschkowski <mw...@gmail.com>.
I just did this recently and followed the instructions below. Its the
same as what Stefano said, just a bit more detailed:

Regards,

Mark

Setting up James to have 2 SMTP addresses

You certainly can do this. I have my server setup this way. It is
quite easy to do too.

In config.xml - Find the SMTP block it starts with <smtpserver
enabled="true"> and ends with </smtpserver> copy this block. Then
paste it into the file again, I put it right below. Now change the two
tags to be different than your first smtp server, I added -in.
<smtpserver-in enabled="true"> and </smtpserver-in>. Then in the block
change the port to the port number above 1024 that you want to use.
say 2025.

Now go to the assembly.xml file - find the block that starts <-!SMTP
Server> <block name="smtpserver"... and ends </block>. Copy this
block. Paste it back into the file, I put it right below it. Then
change the references to read <-!SMTP Server-in> <block
name="smtpserver-in"

If you have a firewall setup, don't forget to open the port.

Restart James if everything is right with the world your done.

If you would like to test that the new port is working start telnet
from a different computer on the Internet. In a Windows command prompt
it would be - telnet your.domain port-number - you should get a
message like
220 your.domain SMTP Server (James SMTP Server 2.2*** ) ready date and time
Type quit to exit telnet. It is working.

Now just tell your client to change the port number, or add
(colon)port-number, :2025 to the server name. (At least I think that
will work?)

Take care,
Clive

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.