Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Alex Howansky <al...@birdview.com> on 2008/08/29 22:43:28 UTC

version 5.5 vs 6.0

Hello group,

I'm wondering if you might be able to share a bit of your expertise with
me. Is there any reason to choose 5.5 over 6.0 if you have no specific
requirement to do so? I.e., if you were tasked with developing a
completely new application from the ground up, and none of the
subordinate packages/libraries that you've chosen specifically require
5.5, is there any reason not to choose 6.0? I've been so far unable to
find any compelling arguments for either case.

Thanks for your time,

--
Alex Howansky
Director of IT

Re: version 5.5 vs 6.0

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Alex Howansky wrote:

> Hello group,
>
> I'm wondering if you might be able to share a bit of your expertise with
> me. Is there any reason to choose 5.5 over 6.0 if you have no specific
> requirement to do so? I.e., if you were tasked with developing a
> completely new application from the ground up, and none of the
> subordinate packages/libraries that you've chosen specifically require
> 5.5, is there any reason not to choose 6.0? I've been so far unable to
> find any compelling arguments for either case.

6.0.x tends to get releases with security fixes before the
vulnerabilities are announced whereas 5.5.x and 4.1.x tend to see
releases after the vulnerability announcement.

6.0.x is easier to build if you need a custom patch.

6.0.x is more actively developed.

Given a free choice, I'd pick 6.0.x every time.

Mark

RE: version 5.5 vs 6.0

Posted by Mostafa Mossaad <Mo...@aramex.com>.
I think most support articles/FAQs/Online documents on the Internet are
more related to the 4.X and 5.X versions

I'm totally new to the Apache community, and I'm trying to achieve a
relatively simple task of changing the default application for my
Tomcat, and all the articles I google seem to be talking about version
4.X and 5.X, and I can't get whatever's in them to work on my 6.X
version..

PS: Should anyone be interested to help me, I'd be more than happy

Thank you.

Keep in mind tomcat 6 has passed the magic version number of 16, so
from now on, no need to use 5.x branch :-)

Leon

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 11:43 PM, Alex Howansky <al...@birdview.com> wrote:

> Hello group,
>
> I'm wondering if you might be able to share a bit of your expertise
with me.
> Is there any reason to choose 5.5 over 6.0 if you have no specific
> requirement to do so? I.e., if you were tasked with developing a
completely
> new application from the ground up, and none of the subordinate
> packages/libraries that you've chosen specifically require 5.5, is
there any
> reason not to choose 6.0? I've been so far unable to find any
compelling
> arguments for either case.
>
> Thanks for your time,
>
> --