Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch> on 2002/03/05 12:50:56 UTC

Re: URGENT : Connection times out /Connection refused

> Sunil wrote:
>
> Hello Apache People
>
> we are having a oracle 9i AS on our Sun Solaris Sparc machine. and are
> trying to access it on  a network.
> The Applications are deployed using forms and reports server.
> Our Problem is that although we are able to run the forms and reports
> internallly but we are getting connection timed out and connection
> refused when we are trying to access it through internet.
> Any idea as  to what may be wrong.  ?? I have increased the timout in
> httpd.conf file also  from 300 to 3000

I don't think your problem has anything to do with the Timeout
directive. It seems like a simple network problem - your client cannot
connect to the server.

If the applications work locally (to localhost) then clearly apache and
the underlying applications are working correctly.

To debug your network, here are some questions in no particulr order:

- can you ping the server from the client?
- do other services (e.g. telnet, smtp) work between the client and
server?
- can you telnet to port 80 from client to server?
- on the server, are you listening to port 80 (# ifconfig -a)?
- on the server, are you listening to the external IP address?
- can the client resolve the server name to its IP address?
- if not, does connecting to the IP address work?

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.