Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2014/03/28 15:38:54 UTC

Cost savings by using a thinner typeface

Interesting story:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/27/living/student-money-saving-typeface-garamond-schools/index.html?c=us&page=0

I wonder what the impact would be if we encouraged our user base to do
something similar.  What would the cost savings be?

-Rob

Re: Cost savings by using a thinner typeface

Posted by Arthur Buijs <ar...@artietee.nl>.
Rob Weir schreef op 28-3-2014 15:38:
> Interesting story:
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/27/living/student-money-saving-typeface-garamond-schools/index.html?c=us&page=0
>
> I wonder what the impact would be if we encouraged our user base to do
> something similar.  What would the cost savings be?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecofont

Arthur

Re: Cost savings by using a thinner typeface

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 11:38 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> Interesting story:
>

> http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/27/living/student-money-saving-typeface-garamond-schools/index.html?c=us&page=0

http://fcw.com/articles/1998/09/27/dod-agency-sheds-the-paper-trail.aspx

"DOD's paperless contracting goals are part of DOD's overall Defense Reform
Initiative unveiled last year by Vice President Al Gore and Secretary of
Defense William Cohen. The department's re-engineering goals include the
creation of a "paperless society by the year 2001," Cohen said, and the
movement of all paper-based documentation and transactions to electronic
media."

I guess a paperless society will take some more time... ;)

FC
PS: I noticed Samsung has started offering its own toner-saving software
(aka Print optimization) in their web site for its laser printer. It
reduces ink usage by offering a preview of the printout (before it's sent
to the windows print spooler) and then lets you adjust grayscales and
basically sets "brightness" higher (blacks become grays, grays become
lighter grays, etc) saving a lot of toner in the process. Perhaps this
could be integrated as a "toner saver" feature in the print preview dialog,
so it benefits everyone not only those with Samsung printers or those who
have installed third party ink saving software?
act
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
Revolucionario
- George Orwell