Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Robert Pepersack <ro...@itgfirm.com> on 2020/01/17 00:08:15 UTC

Changing Partial Name of PDNonTerminalField Changes Parent's Name

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a PDF file that has form fields named using the hierarchical naming
convention.  For example:
table.0.firstName, table.0.middleName, table.0.lastName,
table.1.firstName, table.1.middleName, table.1.lastName, etc.

I'm changing the numeric nodes' partial names using:
field.setPartialName(newName)

After that, I check the new field names, and they are renamed correctly
(see the attached output.txt).  So, it seems that it worked.

Then, I'm merging the document after another document
using:  PDFMergerUtility.mergeDocuments(null)

But, when I open the newly created (merged) PDF file in Acrobat Pro, all
the field names have names like "dummyFieldName" (the incorrect part)
followed by "1.0A.firstName" (the correct part), instead of the names in
the attached output.txt.

I have attached the PDF file that I'm changing names in, Attachment.pdf,
and the new file after merging, test.pdf.

Thanks,
Rob

Re: Changing Partial Name of PDNonTerminalField Changes Parent's Name

Posted by Robert Pepersack <ro...@itgfirm.com>.
Hi,

Ok.  This is by design.

Each table document is one page.  So, if I merge the same document more
than once, will the fields in each page get their own unique name/number?
For example, table page 1 gets fields named dummyFieldName1.0.firstName,
dummyFieldName1.0.lastName, etc, and page 2 gets fields named
dummyFieldName2.0.firstName,  dummyFieldName2.0.lastName, etc. ?

What if I have more than one table template to append multiple times?

Thanks,
Rob

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.