Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Ugo Vasi <ug...@procne.it> on 2017/10/26 08:20:50 UTC

Quicker volume migrate procedure

Hi all,
we have a Cloustack 4.5 on ubuntu with kvm hiperviser and NFS primary
and secondary storage (three primary and one secondary).

We plan to dismiss the first primary storage and migrate all vm running
on it to one of other.

When I migrate a VM (after stopping it) I noticed that the volume is
moved in two phases, first it is copied to the Secondary and then to the
target Primary (can you suggest where I can find documentation about
these under the hood mechanisms?).

Are there any faster migration procedures?

I thought I could do a direct rsync of volume file from source PS to
destination PS, stop VM, re-synchronize (differential) the file, modify
the VM volume storage referenceon the database and restart the VM.

--

   U g o   V a s i    <ug...@procne.it>
   P r o c n e  s.r.l    >)

Le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio sono riservate e
confidenziali ed è vietata la diffusione in qualunque modo eseguita.
Qualora Lei non fosse la persona a cui il presente messaggio è
destinato, La invitiamo ad eliminarlo e a non leggerlo, dandocene
gentilmente comunicazione.
Per qualsiasi informazione si prega di contattare support@procne.it .
Rif. D.L. 196/2003

Re: Quicker volume migrate procedure

Posted by Dag Sonstebo <Da...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Ugo,

Take a look at the following PR – there is work already going on around this – Marc may have more information:

https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/1709/commits/ff9a8065e624a1ef4ad4ec37b555b70e0bb4718b

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect
ShapeBlue

On 26/10/2017, 09:52, "Ivan Kudryavtsev" <ku...@bw-sw.com> wrote:

    Hi, Ugo.
    You can do it and change database record for the volume (volume storage
    location).

    --
    With best regards, Ivan Kudryavtsev
    Bitworks Software, Ltd.

Dag.Sonstebo@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

Re: Quicker volume migrate procedure

Posted by Ugo Vasi <ug...@procne.it>.
Hi all,
I tried and I confirm that this procedure works fine. Now I have to
migrate the system VMs (routers and console VMs) and I think I will do
the same "rsync" procedure because I found that there is no "migrate
volume" icon for the volume of this kind of VM.
What happens to the system vm that have the disk on the storage that is
put in maintenace mode?

Posted by Ivan Kudryavtsev <ku...@bw-sw.com>.
Hi, Ugo.