Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Jim Crossley <jc...@ifleet.com> on 2001/04/18 21:56:04 UTC

Actions forwarding to Actions

I think I found a bug or, as Larry Wall might say, it would be difficult
to interpret it as a feature.  :-)

I have an Action that occasionally needs to forward its request to
another Action.  So the <forward> element in its corresponding <action>
element has a path with a suffix of "do" instead of "jsp".  The
associated form bean classes for each action's form have a "name"
property, though this is purely coincidental.  They have no real
relationship.

Oddly enough, when Action X forwards to Action Y, the name property for
Y's form bean is initialized to the name from X's form bean!  Is this a
bug?

Thanks.

Re: Actions forwarding to Actions

Posted by Jim Crossley <jc...@ifleet.com>.
Forgive me for replying to myself, but I think I may have figured out
what's going on:  the second bean is not populated from the first bean
as I mistakenly assumed -- it's populated from the request!  So, just as
the first bean got its name from the request parameter, the second get
its name from there, too.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Jim Crossley wrote:

> I think I found a bug or, as Larry Wall might say, it would be difficult
> to interpret it as a feature.  :-)
>
> I have an Action that occasionally needs to forward its request to
> another Action.  So the <forward> element in its corresponding <action>
> element has a path with a suffix of "do" instead of "jsp".  The
> associated form bean classes for each action's form have a "name"
> property, though this is purely coincidental.  They have no real
> relationship.
>
> Oddly enough, when Action X forwards to Action Y, the name property for
> Y's form bean is initialized to the name from X's form bean!  Is this a
> bug?

Or maybe an "unintended coincidence?"  :-)

If you could create a small test case that demonstrates this, it would
make a very useful attachment to a bug report, which you would submit to:

  http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/

under product category "Struts".

> Thanks.

Craig