Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Shanker Balan <sh...@shapeblue.com> on 2013/10/24 15:10:02 UTC

Metadata URL location

Hi Guys,

CloudStack metadata services are on the default gateway while on EC2,
its at 169.254.169.254. Am curious to know why CloudStack does not
use a link local address for meta data services.

A search of the Wiki (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/dosearchsite.action?where=CLOUDSTACK&tooltip=Type+ALL%3A+in+your+query+to+search+all+of+Confluence&spaceSearch=true&queryString=metadata) didn’t seem to list any doc related to the design of this service.

TIA.

--
@shankerbalan

M: +91 98860 60539 | O: +91 (80) 67935867
ShapeBlue Services India LLP, 22nd floor, Unit 2201A, World Trade Centre, Bangalore - 560 055

CloudStack Bootcamp Training on 27/28 November, Bangalore
http://www.shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Re: Metadata URL location

Posted by Shanker Balan <sh...@shapeblue.com>.
On 24-Oct-2013, at 9:21 pm, Darren Shepherd <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So additionally you need to do
>
> ip addr add dev eth0 169.254.169.254/0

Thanks Kris and Darren. Thats very useful information.

The reason I ask is currently there is a bit of heuristics involved
in obtaining the meta data server IP from the DHCP lease files.

Scripts are not portable across different OSes and distribution
as they use different DHCP clients.

Having a consistent well known meta data server IP 169.254.169.254 would be nice. :)

Re: Metadata URL location

Posted by Darren Shepherd <da...@gmail.com>.
I think it should be fine.  Conceptually, 169.254/16 is not supposed
to be routed.  The standard protocol is that you can randomly assign
yourself an IP as long as nobody responds to ARP.  So the definition
of the subnet is that it's your local subnet.  EC2 is funky though.
If you launch an amazon linux AMI it will come up with the following
route.

169.254.169.254 0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 eth0

Now it really don't matter if that route exists because ARP is useless
in EC2.  If you look at your ARP cache (or do arping), you'll notice
everything is FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF.  So all packets leaving your VM go to
the same place and then EC2 magic ensues....

Darren

Re: Metadata URL location

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Re: Metadata URL location

Posted by Darren Shepherd <da...@gmail.com>.
Chiradeep,

Re: Metadata URL location

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Re: Metadata URL location

Posted by Darren Shepherd <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Metadata URL location

Posted by Darren Shepherd <da...@gmail.com>.
Alex,

I don't think that's correct.  The instructions that I gave in the
earlier email was changes to the VR to serve metadata from the VR.
Regardless of hypervisor, it should work.

Darren

RE: Metadata URL location

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.

Re: Metadata URL location