Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as> on 2013/01/30 03:22:40 UTC

[Website] New website going live

Hey everybody!

We got final permission from a few different groups at Apache to make the
website live.  If you have any pending commits to the site/ directory in
SVN, please make sure those go in soon as things are about to be all moved
around there.

After the website goes live, I'll put in the download tracking code.

-Nick

Re: [Website] New website going live

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Erik,

We had to add the TM to the logo, because it actually is a trademarked logo
(Apache Licensing asked us to add this).  Additionally, we have to make
sure we use the Apache Flex (R) mark on any significant use of the brand.
 That is no different than when it was at Adobe, but we were pretty lax on
doing it right during incubation.

-Nick

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Hi,

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [Website] New website going live

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 3:22 AM, Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as> wrote:
> ...If you have any pending commits to the site/ directory in
> SVN, please make sure those go in soon as things are about to be all moved
> around there....

Could you eventually add the below text for me on the about-people
page? I (rightly) don't have commit rights anymore.

Feel free to add an icon to mark me as inactive, if you want, as I
left the project.

Thanks,
-Bertrand

headshot at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/715349/bio-pic/bdelacretaz-400-551.jpg

bio text: I'm happy to have been able to help
Flex incubate at Apache, the team did a great job in creating
a successful Apache project. I left the PMC on graduation to
free some time for other podlings, wishing Flex a bright future!

Re: [Website] New website going live

Posted by Hans Van den Keybus <ha...@dotdotcommadot.com>.
Same thing with the documentation->videso page. It looks a bit chaotic to me, this way.
Maybe you could limit the description texts to about 150 chars or something, and give all boxes the same height.
Might be a bit easier to navigate trough the videos :)

Hans

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
It wasn't my intent, but I think I can make it go to those sections
directly.  My ultimate goal is to have the "What is Flex" page much more
fleshed out with more content talking about those bullet points.

-Nick

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
One more detail:

Posted by Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 1/30/2013 7:50 PM, Nicholas Kwiatkowski wrote:
> I agree with you, but I've had issues with getting that to render properly
> on all browsers.  Both IE and FF have real issues when you explicitly set

that's the funniest thing i've heard all day & it's been a very long day. oh the
irony ;-) thanks.

Re: [Website] New website going live

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

Posted by Hans Van den Keybus <ha...@dotdotcommadot.com>.
Looks great!!

Posted by Tomislav Pokrajcic <to...@svemir.net>.
Looks awesome.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Looks great!

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Haha.  You guys do fine :)

Let me know if there are any other changes or suggestions you would like
made on the site. If you guys have any other documentation, videos, etc.
that you would like posted on the site, let us know as well.  In my eyes, I
don't consider you guys an "alternative" IDE.. you are at the same level as
FB (if not above)...  You should be highlighted as such.

-Nick

Posted by Alexander Doroshko <al...@jetbrains.com>.
Wow, thanks!

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Alexander,

Posted by Alexander Doroshko <al...@jetbrains.com>.
New site is awesome!

Posted by "Skogen, Espen" <es...@jpmorgan.com>.
Looks great! Glad to see it materialize!!

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Fixed.  Thanks for catching that one ;)

-Nick

Posted by JP Bader <jp...@zavteq.com>.

--
JP Bader
Principal

Re: [Website] New website going live

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Yeah, I didn't want to touch that until I was sure I wasn't going to break
anything else.  Re-naming the disclaimer.mdtext to disclaimer.cmsPage
should do the trick.

I'm on it now.

-Nick

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks!

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Om,

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nils Dupont <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nick,

Very good job! Very nice looking :)

Just a small detail: it seems that a thin left margin (around 20-30 pixels
wide) appears with media queries when window's width is smaller than 767
px. I could reproduce this with firefox 18 and IE 8 on Windows and with any
browser on Android (including Chrome and Firefox).

Cheers,
Nils

Posted by Mike Chambers <mc...@adobe.com>.
Actually, I see what is going on. I noticed a picture of Ryan Stewart on the front, which seems to be automatically pulled in from the article it is linking to.

Disregard my previous email.

Looks great btw...

mike chambers

I think the only content that want generated by us directly is the links to the ADC/videos.

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Which page?

Posted by Mike Chambers <mc...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 1/29/13 8:29 PM, "Nicholas Kwiatkowski" <ni...@spoon.as> wrote:

> The new website is sitting on staging now.  I'm going to push it to
> production at Noon EDT tomorrow (~12 hours from now) unless somebody finds
> a compelling reason why we shouldn't.
>
> http://flex.staging.apache.org/

I poked around for a few minutes and didn't see any obvious issues.  Great
job!

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: [Website] New website going live

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Thanks for catching that, it lead me to the answer.  That wasn't in the
source, but the CMS decided to interpret 4 extra spaces at the end of the
div tag as a paragraph.  It is fixed now.

Did I mention how much I <3 mdtext.  I really do.

-Nick

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
I figured out the problem.

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Should be updated now :)   Thanks!

-Nick

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 4:13 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
yeah.  He gave me a really cropped photo. I didn't get a chance to play
with it yet.

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Good Job Nick :-)

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Another couple of small things:

1) The Favicon is the Apache feather. Is it supposed to be the Apache feather or the Flex logo?
2) The Apache feather in the header remains faded even when I mouse over (Firefox Mac 10.7.5.)

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.
Now that the website is live, I just updated the instructions on how to
update your profile

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Updating+your+profile+on+T
eam+page

to remove the /v2 from all the URLs.

Committers - if you haven't updated your bio yet now would be a great time
to do it.

Carol

Re: [Website] New website going live

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Technically, I don't see any reason why it can't be customized. It's supposed to be customizable via css.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
One question I had but forgot to voice:

Is there any chance of getting the blog [1] skinned to match the website, or does it have to match the rest of Apache blogs?

It seems a shame to have such a beautiful website and have, well… I'm sure you know what I mean… ;-)

Harbs

[1] http://blogs.apache.org/flex/

Posted by Jun Heider <ju...@realeyes.com>.
On 1/29/13 7:22 PM, "Nicholas Kwiatkowski" <ni...@spoon.as> wrote:

>Hey everybody!
>
>We got final permission from a few different groups at Apache to make the
>website live.  If you have any pending commits to the site/ directory in
>SVN, please make sure those go in soon as things are about to be all moved
>around there.
>
>After the website goes live, I'll put in the download tracking code.
>
>-Nick

Awesome news, thanks everyone involved for the hard work. I think the v2
site looks outstanding!