Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jeanne Case <jd...@stmarys-ca.edu> on 2006/04/05 01:31:41 UTC

virtual hosts on tomcat 5.0.28

I have been trying to create a virtual host with tomcat 5.0.28 to no
avail.  I have read all the docs. read the Wiki. and still no joy.

I must be missing something very fundamental and obvious to long time
users of tomcat that is not obvious to me.

I was hoping to leave up the manager and admin page and then have the
server respond to a dns name for my reall web app. Am I completely naive?

I tried the following:

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/CreateVirtualHosts?action=diff

Which is:
0. create ${catalina.home}/www/appBase , ${catalina.home}/www/deploy,
and ${catalina.home}/conf/Catalina/www.myhostname.com

1. add a host entry in the server.xml file

   <Host appBase="www/appBase" name="www.myhostname.com"/>

2. Create the the following file under
conf/Catalina/www.myhostname.com/ROOT.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>