Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com> on 2003/09/09 15:55:25 UTC

Time to Remove Deprecated Code?

Hi all,

I am starting to port some of the fulcrum components in, starting with
localization.  Therefore I am marking the corresponding Turbine classes as
deprecated.  My concern is that soon we will have stuff deprecated pre 2.4
and stuff deprecated during 2.4.  Therefore, I think now is the time to go
through the codebase and anything marked deprecated can be removed..
Correct?

Don't want to remove anything that shouldn't but I'm itching to get rid of
all the deprecation warnings in Eclipse!

Eric

Re: Time to Remove Deprecated Code?

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Eric Pugh wrote:
> I guess I should have clarified that I am only advocating removing
> deprecated code that has a replacement.  For example, in the turbine intake
> class org.apache.turbine.services.intake.model.FieldFactory there is a
> method that requires a StringKeyField.  Well, StringKey has been deprecated
> in favor of String, so lets get rid of it!  It will also make converting
> Intake to a avalon component easiers since we can remove all the old torque
> references..
>
> I want to make sure though that this is following the correct patterns for
> removing deprecated code...

Sounds good, +1.

RE: Time to Remove Deprecated Code?

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.

Posted by Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at>.

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
"Eric Pugh" <ep...@upstate.com> writes:

>I am starting to port some of the fulcrum components in, starting with
>localization.  Therefore I am marking the corresponding Turbine classes as
>deprecated.  My concern is that soon we will have stuff deprecated pre 2.4

Yes. But there is no need to hurry. When your components are stable
and we're using it, this is the right time to do so.

>and stuff deprecated during 2.4.  Therefore, I think now is the time to go
>through the codebase and anything marked deprecated can be removed..
>Correct?

If you want to rip out the "uh, we deprecated this in pre-2.3",
cool. Go ahead. Be aware, that for some stuff, you _must_ upgrade
dependencies (e.g. commons-lang / commons-collections), because we
deprecated code that was/is supposed to appear in the next releases
there.

WARNING! At least one class (WordWrapUtils) didn't make it into
commons-lang. So we cannot remove the deprecated class from the
Turbine code base. We will simply keep it deprecated. ;-)

If you really want to make all this work, please try to resist doing
other changes. Remove the deprecated code from a package and then
commit without doing any other changes.

>Don't want to remove anything that shouldn't but I'm itching to get rid of
>all the deprecation warnings in Eclipse!

Simply turn off the switch in your compiler settings. That's easier. ;-)

	Regards
		Henning

"Dominate!! Dominate!! Eat your young and aggregate! I have grotty silicon!"
      -- AOL CD when played backwards  (User Friendly - 200-10-15)