Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2014/09/20 13:28:53 UTC

Bug Crush

Hi,

It's great to see a second Bug Crush effort!

I have though a question, I see that you (HotWax Media team) only backport bug fixes to the R13 branch.
I guess it's intended, so why?

Jacques

Re: Bug Crush

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 22/09/2014 06:50, Ashish Vijaywargiya a écrit :
>>> I wonder if we should not face the reality. Even during large efforts
> like HWM Bugs Crush, we don't/can't backport all bug fixes.
> I think we should make that clear and expose a way to users for them to
> more "easily" maintain the releases they use. I feel that with the help of
> the Jira changes logs reports (thanks Jacopo) this should be possible. I
> don't think at an automated way, just a process for users to follow.
>
> I liked this option and yes if does exists inside download page then that
> will be of great help. This will encourage end users to help PMC/Committer
> to manage release branches.
>
> Hello Ron, Jacques,
>
> Please wait for couple of weeks, I will try my best to back port all the
> necessary changes to Release 12.04. Thanks.
This is great to hear Ashish. Unfortunately, like mine, your effort will not be enough.
As Ron continued on this, we need to clearly define a policy to apply and stick with it

Jacques

Re: Bug Crush

Posted by Ashish Vijaywargiya <vi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Bug Crush

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
For companies adopting an ERP, this is a big decision and the Apache
name generates certain expectations.

I think that writing up an honest statement about what the PMC defines
as a "stable release" would be helpful.
It should describe the EOL condition/date and what the commitment is to
fixing bugs in the "current stable release".
If 12.x.x is no longer supported, the PMC should say so.

If 11.x.x is no longer going to be maintained, that should be clearly
stated as well.

If only certain types of bugs are going to be fixed, this should be stated.

If 13.07.x is actually the "Current Stable Release", this should be
stated and the release finished.
I am not sure what the customer reaction will be for a product that
defines EOL of one release to be the day when the next major version is
release.
One month prior to the release date is clearly not acceptable for an ERP.

The PMC has to make some management decisions that it believes in and
can defend as reasonable for a project of this type and that it can live
up to.

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler
President

Re: Bug Crush

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
End-users want a reliable project with lots of functionality that is
going to be maintained by the suppliers (like Apache HTTP,  Maven, ORACLE).

If the goal is for a few integrators to share some code, that should be
clearly described as the mission and perhaps it should be dropped as an
Apache project

If it is to produce an ERP that can be adopted by companies for their
mission-critical applications, there needs to be a release and
maintenance policy that makes business sense for the end-users.
At a minimum:
a) Releases have to be supported until "end of life".
b) The EOL and maintenance policy has to be clear.
c) The PMC has to ensure that the team is committed to the projects
policies and procedures.

What would you say to someone who needed an ERP and wanted to install
the "stable" release of OFBIZ in a real company?

Ron

Re: Bug Crush

Posted by Anil Patel <an...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Ron,
You are making good point.

On Sep 21, 2014, at 8:43 AM, Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com> wrote:

> +1
> If this is ever going to be a commercial success, there has to be enough transparency and reliability that people feel confident in committing to OFBiz.

+1

> If the policy is "You can download the current release and commit your organization's most critical business functions to it but we are not going to fix the bugs that we find.", it is going to be hard for someone to sell OFBiz to management regardless of how great the feature list might be.

+1

What if, Users of certain release e.g 11.04 clearly communicate their willingness to help with maintaining the release. Help includes reporting bugs and keeping track of fixes that have not made into release of their interest.

In absence of any managed effort to maintain ofbiz release, My recommendation is to use most recent release. Recently Hans posted nice article on this topic (https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/article/20140909060033-1227556-upgrade-your-erp-system-like-a-phone-app).

> Imaging how happy we would be if ORCLE announced that maintaining all these versions of Java was too much work and they were only going to fix bugs in Java 8. We would be looking for another Java PDQ.

We all know how commercial products are maintained. In case of community based products, Users of software own the product and so they have right to maintain software.

> If there is any doubt as to the effect of this policy, perhaps some of the system integrators could ask their customers how this policy would fit their needs

I agree with you. Customers don’t like to spend money on migrating their system to newer version of OFBiz unless their is real ROI involved. System Integrators can support their customers by participating in the community and supporting OFBiz release branch.

> Ron

Regards
Anil Patel

Re: Bug Crush

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
+1

Re: Bug Crush

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Re: Bug Crush

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 22/09/2014 9:51 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> Some ideas to manage this workflow in a better way:
>
> * if a bug that affects an old release branch is not backported, when we resolve the ticket we create a new one that is linked to the original and has the field "affected releases" set the affected old branch; this will be a placeholder for the ones willing to maintain the old branch
The "current stable release" should be the first place a bug is fixed.
> * about the end of life of release branches: when we perceive a decreasing interest from the community to backport to an old release, we could run a vote to decide if the community is ok to anticipate the end of life of a release branch; the ones that vote to keep the branch alive could offer to help in the backporting process
Very good idea. You might want to think about setting a suggested EOL
date when the release is issued.
It would be helpful to the user community to know that by such and such
a date, this branch will no longer be maintained.
This would allow the user to understand the TCO of switching to it.

I get a sense that :
a) 13.07 took too long to release and got to a point where a lot of the
main contributors are already using it in production and have a business
interest in maintaining it and no business interest in earlier releases.
b) many of the end-users of OFBiz do not have to deal with the project
directly and have SLA's and maintenance commitments from SI companies
that insulate them from the OFBiz project.

Ron

Re: Bug Crush

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: Bug Crush

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Re: Bug Crush

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
I don't have time to reply at the moment but you should find useful information about the ASF and its PMCs in the apache website.

Jacopo

Re: Bug Crush

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Re: Bug Crush

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Bug Crush

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Re: Bug Crush

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Re: Bug Crush

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Re: Bug Crush

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
According the website, 12.04 is the current version and as such, users
would expect bugs to be fixed in this release.

The website is a bit vague about the status of 11.04.06   " it is
probably the last release of this series."
Perhaps the PMC should take a few minutes to make a decision about this.

 From an outside point of view, it is hard to imagine how the current
official release would not be getting bug fixes.
There would normally be an expectation that 12.04.06 will be produced
someday in the not too distant future and include all of the bug fixes
that are currently going into 13.07.
No new features of course.

What is the policy for the supported lifetime of a release?
Does OFBiz have a statement of policy about how many years a release
will be supported?
Most systems that are this critical to a business should provide an
"end-of-life" plan for each release so people can make their own
lifecycle management plans.

Ron

Re: Bug Crush

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
 From my perspective, anyone wanting to use older versions can backport

Re: Bug Crush

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Ashish,

Ah, I read your answer after Adrian's. Anyway what do you think about my proposition?

Jacques

Re: Bug Crush

Posted by Ashish Vijaywargiya <as...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Hello Jacques,