Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/21 17:14:32 UTC

Myfaces Wiki "ComponentMaintainers"

Do we want to list out who's responsible for components on the wiki?
It seems like ththis would encourage having people send email directly
an individual committer rather than the MyFaces community.

Once things are checked into the repository, we should all be
collectively responsible for the code.   There are going to be people
who have a lot more invested into a component, but does that require a
tracking page?    SVN logs will show who has been committing changes
to a particular component.

Re: Myfaces Wiki "ComponentMaintainers"

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Ok, since the feedback was mostly negative and one -1 voting and no +1s
I removed the maintainers but kept the kategorization,
I really need the cats for future testing purposes.
Also the feedback on the idea of categorizing the components
was positive:

http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/ComponentCategorization

is the new page.

Werner

Posted by Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cagatay Civici <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Ok, Mike told me that I was wrong to move this discussion to pmc@ and I
should repost it at dev@.

Now, I dont want to rewarm this discussion, but when I reread my own
post I think there are still valid points within.
So - here we go:

On 8/22/06, Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Moved to private@ ...
>
> > Also not really Apache, so why just
> > discussed stuff during a beer, or more ...
> I think the problem is, that our projects are getting more and more
> complex. And its not just a "deprecate this or that component", its the
> system as whole.
> Now what we see - I cant speak for apache at all, but at least for a
> project which itself is more a umbrella than a single focused project -
> is, that people tend to concentrate on their work only.
> As a developer in a mid range company like me I'd say this is perfectly
> reasonable, we have so much work to do outside of apache that it is hard
> to keep up to date with the project. Often more than not I have to spend
> my after work time to do some apache work, enhancements of fixing bugs.
>
> I do not think that adding our names to the wiki page will increase the
> number of private mails, but it will help us to be up to date with the
> interests of a developer. Something we have in jakarta commons
> (http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/CommonsPeople), there we are
> also "responsible for the commons code", but it is also clear that e.g.
> I am not the best commons-math developer due to the lack of knowledge in
> this area.
> That way we can react early if a component get dormant.
If ComponentMaintainer sounds too harsh we could find another name for
sure, maybe DeveloperInterests and have the same wordings like on the
commons page.

> As I see currently, tomahawk is more a umbrella for different kind of
> things than a component library only. Maybe splitting this project might
> help so that we can decrease the scope of responsibility (SoR ;-) ) for
> every single developer. Where and what to split can be discussed later.
>
> Also I do not like the wording "responsibility". Responsible against
> whom, the other developers, the users, ....
> Well, I take my responsibility seriously, but I don't wanted to be
> forced to be responsible for anything - especially not for the whole
> project.
> Thats why I think a ComponentMaintainers page fits well. There we can
> express what responsibility we would like to have currently.
> But notice, I just mean the responsibility to fix bugs in a specific
> area.
> As a committer especially if you are on the pmc you are still
> responsible for the way the project should go. This kind of
> responsibility is often just participating in discussions or +1/-1 to a
> vote. It's not that much work than setup a test environment, dig into
> the code and fix a bug.
>
> For example: If there are some problems during the release process, the
> release manager still should post to the dev mailing list, but maybe
> then with "Hey Mario! In your ConversationTag ... bla bla bla". If I do
> not answer within two or three (e.g. due to vacation) days its still
> enough room for others to jump in and fix the problem. But ... If you
> look at the release process in the past you'll see that the number of
> developers helping out in such situations do not nearly match with the
> number of committers we have.
>
> Another example: Fixing stuff in the "view serialization stuff" is hard.
> This code is not that easy to read and follow. (This is no valuation of
> the code itself) Now, if we see there is no maintainer for this piece of
> code (no name in ComponentMaintainer) we have to find another one. This
> can be done by posting to the dev list "volunteer needed for ....".
> Hopefully another committer will jump up.
> It is more than demotivating if you have problems (e.g. again during the
> release process) and you try to find a developer to fix something but
> none is responding.
>
> Just an idea, maybe unconventional, but hey ...
> Said that, I do not consist on the existence of this wiki page. I just
> thought it will be helpful for us, but if you don't like it, lets remove
> the names :-)
Ok, this already happened ;-)

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
I mean Mario and me talked about a thing like
"fix 2 bugs a month". Also not really Apache, so why just
discussed stuff during a beer, or more ...

:)

--
Matthias Wessendorf

further stuff:
mail: mwessendorf-at-gmail-dot-com

Re: Myfaces Wiki "ComponentMaintainers"

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 8/21/06, Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at> wrote:

> Jurgen Lust schrieb:
> > Op ma, 21-08-2006 te 11:14 -0400, schreef Mike Kienenberger:
> >> Do we want to list out who's responsible for components on the wiki?
> >> It seems like ththis would encourage having people send email directly
> >> an individual committer rather than the MyFaces community.
> >
> > Hmm, good point.
> >> Once things are checked into the repository, we should all be
> >> collectively responsible for the code.   There are going to be people
> >> who have a lot more invested into a component, but does that require a
> >> tracking page?    SVN logs will show who has been committing changes
> >> to a particular component.
> >
> > Personally I favour the way they do things at Gentoo Linux: instead of
> > everyone being collectively responsible for the code, they have divided
> > their committer community into groups, each with a project lead. For
> > example, they have a Java group, an Apache group, etc.
> >
> > Jurgen
> >

> Actually I just started the page to document which components
> are dojoized and which are not,
> the maintainers are not really mandatory on this,
> it just makes things easier...
> I like the idea with the groups btw...

In every large open source project, it's natural that certain developers
tend to focus on certain parts of the code.  However, assigning "formal"
ownership or responsibility -- or even implying that there is such a thing
-- is not the way Apache projects work.  We are all corporately responsible
for all of the code, and have freedom to get involved with any of it.

Need to coordinate, or ask who might be affected by a change you want to
make?  That's what the dev list is for.

Craig

Re: Myfaces Wiki "ComponentMaintainers"

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.

Posted by Jurgen Lust <Ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Oh boy,

I belive that. I bet you also get lot's of stuff on Jakarta Commons.
:) and Struts ;)

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On 8/21/06, Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do we want to list out who's responsible for components on the wiki?
> It seems like ththis would encourage having people send email directly
> an individual committer rather than the MyFaces community.

I agree with Mike,
I saw the page this morning and was also not really thrilled with having that.

I get lot's of direct emails, I think Mike is right, that this can (or
will) increase the number of offline emails.

So -1 on a wiki page like that).

-Matthias